Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Old Welsh quilt

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 10:37 am    Post subject: Old Welsh quilt Reply with quote

Lovely things usually but one of ours is just a grubby blueish colour. It's probably late 1800's. Handstiched of course and stuffed with wool. I've cold washed it (the last time I did this with one it became apparent that it was stuffed with very raw wool ). I was wondering about dying it. It's wholecloth cotton. What do you think or do you have any other suggestions?

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having it dry cleaned might clean it through and degrease it which might be enough or will at least make it ready to accept a dye to darken the colour so as it looks nice again.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it as guilt originally. No suggestions about either really.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly ask frewen, or Jen Jones the Quilt lady in Cardiganshire (I think)

Cathryn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I keep meaning to take some quilts and get some advice from Jen Jones. I've already had a conversation about preserving a silk one (painstaking and expensive work). I might just try it myself with this one, nothing to lose as it's not attractive as it is.

frewen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you try to dye it then it will become patchy and look worse

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 15 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably I wondered about paint on dye? It was one of the layers in the princess and the pea bed, between a horsehair mattress and a sheet of plywood.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 15 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New mattress perhaps?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 15 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that was only one of them. Successive generations had decided to solve the saggy bed problem by adding a mattress or three, quilts, sheets of wood. I am 5'6" and needed a chair in order to get on the bed. It was in interesting experience and guests still miss it. The horse hair mattress was donated to the local museum. I think someone on here suggested it. Useful downsizer.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 15 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails, local dogs home? Usually on the lookout for bedding.

frewen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 15 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell me that the princess and the pea bed has gone! .... I loved that bed

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 15 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
Oh that was only one of them. Successive generations had decided to solve the saggy bed problem by adding a mattress or three, quilts, sheets of wood. I am 5'6" and needed a chair in order to get on the bed. It was in interesting experience and guests still miss it. The horse hair mattress was donated to the local museum. I think someone on here suggested it. Useful downsizer.

the deep litter method for people bedding ,wow.

i bought a house where the deep litter system of newspapers lino,papers, carpet, lino, carpet etc ran from 1897 to 1946 in roughly 5 yr stages and i had to tack 2" strips of timber to the door bottoms when i replaced the worm eaten floorboards.

tis odd folk didnt just start again from the base layer

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 15 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frewen wrote:
Don't tell me that the princess and the pea bed has gone! .... I loved that bed

Remnants remain. The ends for example which turned out to be from two totally different beds...

The wallpaper layer here is interesting. You take off the only layer and your back to something slightly odd from the Victorian period covering the horsehair rich plaster.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 15 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our first house, built in the 1870s, we had a cupboard that had layers of wallpaper dating all the way back. We also had paintwork that had all the layers too, and that was less fun as the bottom layer was scrimmel and a pain to shift. If you tried to burn it off, it went sticky and if you scraped it off it went to a sticky powder. What with that and having to take the plaster off the downstairs walls for injection damp proofing, it is no surprise that I was washing my hair with washing up liquid at the time as it was the only thing that would shift the dirt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive