links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Old shed for kindling?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 9:05 am    Post subject: Old shed for kindling? Reply with quote

Is there any reason I can't break up the wood from our old shed and use it as kindling? I have a vague idea that it will give off Noxious Chemicals that will kill us all, because it's been treated. If this is the case, I will dispose of it elsewhere

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Old shed for kindling? Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
it will give off Noxious Chemicals that will kill us all, because it's been treated. If this is the case, I will dispose of it elsewhere

Prolly, not worth the risk

chez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonfire night, then .

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old?
If it is creosote treated, then that was originally produced from wood anyway, so isn't likely to be any real problem. Any smoke is noxious to some extent.
Besides: how much kindling do you use in any one fire?

chez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say that it's going to take a while if we do it ... it was an eight by six foot shed. I might see if I can find a chap with a trailer to take it away for me.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoke and anything noxious will go up your chimney and not your nose.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creosote is nasty but stuff like tributyl tin and copper arsinate, both have been used in timber preservatives, have very nasty smoke especially the latter and will really mess up your compost if you use the ashes .

can it not be re-purposed as something ? there are quite a few jobs the parts could do.

landfill seems silly, a shed only bonfire with the wind in a sensible direction and dump the ashes in a barren corner is a bit messy but would be my option if i could not find a use for the panels and sticks.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
The smoke and anything noxious will go up your chimney and not your nose.

Ah, is that what I'm doing wrong?

onemanband

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
...landfill seems silly......

and is expensive, so now where possible, timber is sent to power stations for burning.
If I have a lorry of 'clean timber' it is about 50% cheaper to dispose of than mixed(landfill) waste.
If Chez takes it to a 'tidy tip' and puts it in the wood container, it will probably end up in a power station.

I assume burning in a power station is less harmful to the environment than a bonfire.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
I assume burning in a power station is less harmful to the environment than a bonfire.

Certainly in theory: a more controlled burn should be cleaner and they should have some facility to deal with toxins in the ash.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 16 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
onemanband wrote:

Certainly in theory: a more controlled burn should be cleaner and they should have some facility to deal with toxins in the ash.

They should have "scrubbers" on the smokestack to deal with what's going up, and the ash will be landfilled, IIRC.

Definitely wouldn't want to spread that ash on my land, and would avoid being near the smoke as well....

john of wessex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 16 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly watch what you do with the ash as that could contain nasties

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 16 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ccaresearch.org/metals_concentration.htm

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 16 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulp , the last column is a bit scary.

if the shed is over 20 yrs old the chances of it having copper arsinate in the new or every few years preservatives are fairly high

again if over 20 yrs old it may well have had tri butyl tin in the mix as well

multiple applications could easily exceed the numbers in the chart.

i knew old sheds were a bit dodgy but seeing how much cu/as there is in ash (or even unburned timber) from one treatment wood compared to "acceptable" levels for landfilling without treating it as hazardous waste is a bit of a reminder to beware of things like old sheds ,fence posts and timber from houses treated for rot and worms.

i can think of quite a few london houses one could not landfill in florida

.on an even worse tack i can think of a few old timber treatment chaps who one could probably not landfill in florida, possibly me included .

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 16 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps tributyl tin,copper arsinate and lindane in a white spirit type solvent works a treat to eradicate and/or prevent any biological attack on your timber however it was banned for good reasons.

pps another thing often used on old sheds is used engine oil which has a whole bunch of nasty organics, some which would come out in the smoke and some might even stay in the ashes if the burn was less than 1000c (which is unlikely in all of a bonfire)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive