links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pecker blocks for chickens
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 12:02 pm    Post subject: Pecker blocks for chickens Reply with quote

I've seen these in one of the country supply catalogues and they seem rather expensive for what they are.

Does anyone use them or do you find that bundles of greens, fruit etc provide plenty of entertainment? The idea appeals to me as we used to keep cockatiels and they seemed to love these kind of supplements.

In true Downsizer style I've wondered if you could knock something up at home Wouldn't have a clue where to start with ingredients though,

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this, in case you were wondering, though I think it was Ascotts I saw it at

https://countryfayre.uk.com/newstore/item1917.htm

Btw, take care if you search Google for pecker block. The first few results do not appear to have much to do with the type of chickens we're discussing here

DarrenG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with Shamos and turkeys we hang dutch cabbage for them to peck at, but only in the sheds as this helps prevent vent pecking

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have various nails where we stab either marrows, melons, or different greens.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just chop the melons in half and feed them, Alison?

I ask because ours have an obsession with the melon seeds/threads that hold that bit together, which is of course very handy when you're eating a melon. They don't seem to have come to any harm eating them so far but as with everything, get them in moderation.

Just wondered if it's fine - I feel a letter to Victoria Roberts' agony column to see if there's a definitive list of what you can and can't feed to chickens (and other poultry). I read a few weeks ago that you shouldn't feed grapes to dogs

I do like to see them pecking at things. Better than pecking at each other, for certain.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
We have various nails where we stab either marrows, melons, or different greens.

Just realised, I'm assuming this is for the chickens, Alison, and not some strange Devonian ritual to frighten the B&B guests in to keeping their rooms tidy.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I read a few weeks ago that you shouldn't feed grapes to dogs .

Not that I have any intention of doing so, but why?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nails are for the chickens, unless you are very untidy, then I will re think that policy.

We just chop the melon in half. I get them from the veg wholeseller, when they are a bit brown on the ends and he can't send them back.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melons and pumpkins - the chickens' favourite bits are the seeds and the stringy bits inside. I think you'd have to go some to get them to overdose on them, though..........

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, darn, I knew someone would ask, why can't you just accept everything I say as gospel, you pesky kids? I'll have a look, I cut out the thing to show to a friend who has a mutt (who loves grapes ). I'll let you know this evening.

Alison, that sounds handy. In fact, a veg wholeseller sounds handy too, I'm planning to make a bit more soup and there's no decent market or greengrocers within any kind of feasible distance from me.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get all the veg and fruit peelings brought over from the pub kitchen; the rabbit has some, then the chickens get the greens, melons, fruit, sprout peelings, etc and the onion skins, potato skins and citrus rinds go on to the compost heaps. Some Mondays if it's been quiet the day before, they get a treat of Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the yellow pages, I bet you have a veg wholesaller not too far away, without even realising it is there.

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 05 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look. Trying to work out how soon is too soon to sow sugar snap peas!

Sean (and anyone else with dogs or who is interested...actually I'll stick this up in a separate thread (about the grapes). It's not very clear.

Marigold123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 05 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:
Melons and pumpkins - the chickens' favourite bits are the seeds and the stringy bits inside. I think you'd have to go some to get them to overdose on them, though..........
My chickens are terrified of pumpkins! I split one that was too soft to carve for Halloween and put it in the garden for them to peck the seeds out, but they just huddled as far away as possible until I took it away! I had to take the seeds out and feed them by hand.

They are alarmed by anything red or orange. They are frightened of the red washing up bowl, dustpan and brush, orange balloons, pumpkins, red or orange clothes, and particularly my daughter's red painting apron, which has turned out to be very useful when I want them to stop pecking at the back door. We call this 'showing them the red card'!

I assume this is because they are tuned into red as a very stimulating colour - prominent red combs and wattles when they are sexually mature, regardless of the colour of the rest of the bird.

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 05 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah Marigold, your chooks are sTrAnGe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive