Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pet hens
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 12:09 pm    Post subject: Pet hens Reply with quote

I've just come in to have a look at the site. One hen is laying in the hen house and the other two have followed me in and are next to me in the lounge sleeping. Ginger has her beak tucked under her wing and her eyes closed. It's a hard life for 'em.

Nanny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 7:06 pm    Post subject: pet hens Reply with quote

i have no problem with that. why shouldn't they visit when they can?

don't forget i kept one hen in the bathroom for the better part of a week.............and at our other house the cockerelregulary came in , sat on the back of the kitchen chair and crwoed loudly.

it was lovely

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my cockerill was so friendly - he tries tor rip my throat out whenever I go near ... it makes it a heck of a job checking for eggs if he is about.

Does anyone know of a quick and gentle way of taming a cock? It would sure help us out if we could calm him down.

JonO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard (and it could be untrue) that you can "overlove" them into submission, when it gets aggressive hug it and eventually it gets bored of being humiliated and gives up. My friend tried this and it seemed to work (until a fox overloved it) but it may be one of those un-viscious rumours !

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that .... Hug it eh??????? Well I will see if I can get near it but I don't hold out alot of hope. Anything is worth a try I suppose.

Keep 'em coming ....

JonO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to try it first of all with big gloves and maybe a helmet, if it becomes comical you'll have to post photo's !!!

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - good idea .... I will certainly have wife stood by with camera in hand then (and bandages)!!!

Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A previous posting somewhere suggested holding the cockeral down on the ground, on its back, for some time, until it submits and realises that you are the head of the gang. This could be a similar move to JonO's hugging into submission method.

Wombat

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you try can we have some pictures?

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard in a couple of places, a theory that if you have an over aggressive hen, you should catch her and press her (gently!) to the ground, in view of the other chickens, and hold her there until...I don't know, until she stops struggling I suppose. Theory is this will make her less full of herself and therefore less violent.

I'm not sure. I think chickens are more intelligent than people give them credit for, but that might be taking it a bit far.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, it definately works. It puts you higher in the pecking order, and lowers the hens position.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works with dogs, and until I had a couple of dogs and heard about Bug's hens, I assumed that dogs were more intelligent than chickens.

Now I'm not so sure!

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gawd this brings back memories of when I used to round the horrible geese up by acting like the biggest noisiest nastiest goose in the flock. I ran round the fields hissing and flapping my arms. Wouldn't have wanted to attempt pinning one of those buggers down!

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I never actually hissed... (well not out loud!)
but being domineering helped, er, usually. And it was actually possible to steer a pair of geese (from behind) by the angle of a broomstick held above the head. And flapping my wings really did help me to be domineering...

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettie, Dougal - just been visualising your antics - if you had the video tapes you could have made yourself an easy £250 on 'You've Been Framed'.

I must admit over the years I've tried things like this with farm geese and my friend's hens - had a quick look round to make sure no-one was watching me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive