Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Phone recommendation?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Author 
 Message
Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14843
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 8:30 pm    Post subject: Phone recommendation?  Reply with quote    

I am being asked for a recommendation for a phone.
Fancy features are not needed, what she wants, aside from texts and phone calls, is a reasonable battery life and a reasonable camera.

Any suggestions?

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41739
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

As I'm sure you would say 'Define reasonable'.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33710
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

You will struggle to get a phone that doesn't have both of those features.

Has she used a phone before? Probably the pertinent questions are what OS did it have and what chargers does she have kicking about?

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14843
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sean wrote:
As I'm sure you would say 'Define reasonable'.

Fair point. A few days for the battery, and I'm inclined to agree with Nick on the camera.

Nick wrote:
You will struggle to get a phone that doesn't have both of those features.

I'm not so sure about that on battery life: last phone I looked at said "all day battery" like that was supposed to be impressive.
I'll admit I haven't looked at much.

Quote:
Has she used a phone before? Probably the pertinent questions are what OS did it have and what chargers does she have kicking about?

She has a phone: an old Samsung, which is so basic that I'm not sure that asking of the OS is a meaningful question.

NorthernMonkeyGirl



Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 4295
Location: Peeping over your shoulder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Last time i looked, there was very little in between Nan's super-big-buttoned mobile with panic alarm, and the budget end of smartphones. A budget smartphone won't do well for battery life and there isn't enough memory to hold system updates etc.

I'm guessing Apple is ruled out. Does she like the Samsung? I was used to their style/function so just upgraded through the cheaper ones until recently. How big are her hands? This affects comfort/use and screen size. Does she have chance to go to a shop and poke some? She might rule out some options - sluggish or not intuitive interfaces.

"A few days" is not a smartphone battery option I'm afraid. That's a Nan phone feature

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33086
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

nokia 108
,at least three days on standby with a few texts/calls / reasonable camera for a cheap phone/bluetooth (perhaps but i havenít tried it ) /radio( not very good if you move ), memory card up to 32g,takes standard sim cards
iirc mine was about £ 30, not broken it in about 6 months

no web or wifi etc etc but as a phone it seems ok.

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14843
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
I'm guessing Apple is ruled out. Does she like the Samsung? I was used to their style/function so just upgraded through the cheaper ones until recently. How big are her hands? This affects comfort/use and screen size. Does she have chance to go to a shop and poke some? She might rule out some options - sluggish or not intuitive interfaces.

She's been happy enough with the Samsungt: think she's had it a few years now.
Hands not particularly big, but long fingers. Having a play at the shop is a good idea as long as I can avoid going, but it's worth having a few ideas to start off.

Quote:
"A few days" is not a smartphone battery option I'm afraid. That's a Nan phone feature

She doesn't need a smart phone, but I need to retreat to a safe distance before I suggest a nan-phone...


dpack wrote:
nokia 108
,at least three days on standby with a few texts/calls / reasonable camera for a cheap phone/bluetooth (perhaps but i havenít tried it ) /radio( not very good if you move ), memory card up to 32g,takes standard sim cards...

Ticks all the boxes, except the camera is only 0.3MP: is a little bit poor in this day and age.
Might do though: I'll pass on the suggestion.

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14834
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I am really starting to struggle with my phone. I have insanely small hands and regret getting the iPhone 6 in my upgrade. I know the big screen is fabulous, but not if you can't actually hold it in one hand.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33710
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Have you tried double touching the home button? (touching, not pressing)

wellington womble



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Posts: 14834
Location: East Midlands
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Yeah, it's actually holding it that troubles me. I use it in bed a lot while J is settling and I keep dropping the thing on my nose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->