Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Repairing Beech worktops from splitting due to water damage

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 11:29 am    Post subject: Repairing Beech worktops from splitting due to water damage Reply with quote

Hi,

We just had a new kitchen with beech worktops. Despite 5 coats of oil initially, a small split has appeared on one edge about 4cm in length. This is near the taps on the edge of the sink where I guess excessive water has not been wiped up. Does anybody have any advice on how to repair so that the split doesn't get worse? Replacing the surface is out of the question as I do not fancy ebaying my arm and leg.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheve

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How new is it? I would be amazed if anyone is clumsier and less careful at clearing up than I am, and we've had ours over a year with no such splits. My first thought would be waving the sale of goods act at the supplier and at the very least getting them to check that the worktops were cut properly etc to begin with

Welcome to the forum by the way...hope it picks up from here!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd echo Bugs's suggestion of taking it up with the supplier.

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Beech worktops from splitting due to water dam Reply with quote

Cheve wrote:
.. a small split has appeared on one edge about 4cm in length. This is near the taps on the edge of the sink ...

Edge? *Cut* edge? I think whoever did the cutting needs to be approached...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having fitted two 40mm beech worktops and read the instructions, unless you sacrifice a black cockerel every 3rd Wednesday they claim the guarantee is not valid. Well, not quite that bad but close. However any guarantee needs to be reasonable so if you've fitted them or had them fitted correctly (with supports, oiled well, etc) then you should be able to claim. Were they correctly acclimatised? They need to be kept in the house before fitting not a cold & damp garage.

Now onto the split. One of the blocks in the middle of one of our worktops has split where the grain of the wood is. This doesn't seem to cause any problems so I'll just sand it level and oil over it. I have used water proof wood glue to glue a strip of wood on the back of the worktop and a good clean joint is needed and firmly clamp (with something protecting the work surface) it until dry. But I would take it up with the fitters/suppliers first.

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is wood then you will get this. Wood is a natural product and will shrink and expand as temperature and humidity change. I would just learn to live with it or go back to plastic.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas wrote:
If it is wood then you will get this. Wood is a natural product and will shrink and expand as temperature and humidity change. I would just learn to live with it or go back to plastic.

If it was just a large plank then fair enough. That would cost less than £100 for 3m. However, one of the main reasons for buying beech block worktops is that the wood sections are carefully selected to *prevent* splitting. That's why they are more expensive.

Rather than leaving the split I would suggest gluing it back if no one admits a fault. I would also like to point out that I received a reasonable refund on one of my worktops as the quality wasn't what I'd expect but i could live with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive