Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sealing chopping boards

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 16 9:24 am    Post subject: Sealing chopping boards Reply with quote

Is it ok to use Danish oil?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 16 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, certified safe. Today that is. Tomorrow it'll be muck and engine oil will do the job.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 16 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good wash and thorough dry before a quick rub with 1200 gt paper helps the oil penetrate the timber and removes any sharp bits from knife damage.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 16 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one recommended by Jim and Jean Lakiotes, West Virginia makers of spoons and other kitchen items, as well as furniture. Their finish is a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax.

To make it, warm the mineral oil in a saucepan over low heat, and melt a chunk of beeswax in it equal to about one-fifth or one-sixth the volume of the oil. (At high heat, there's a potential for fire. Be sure to keep the heat low, and consider using a double boiler.) As the wax begins to flake apart and dissolve, stir frequently. When the mixture is blended, pour it into a jar to cool and solidify.

To apply, wipe on an excess of the soft paste, let it dry a bit, then wipe it off. If you want to apply it as a liquid, you can reheat it. Like any mineral oil or wax finish that will take a lot of abuse, this one will need to be reapplied often to afford decent moisture protection.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 16 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good jam lady but I have 5 litres of Danish oil under the workbench.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 16 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Danish oil finish. It isn't all shiny.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 16 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need a finish? None of my chopping boards have one, and one is vintage 1947, with a couple dating from the 1970s. If the surface gets scored it is pretty good at getting rid of bugs naturally. Must admit though that to look nice, it is an advantage to bring up the grain pattern by oiling, but for practical use no finish.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 16 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR its new boards were making as eid pressies, want them to look their best

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 16 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that. An alternative is to just wipe them over with a light vegetable oil. Some say that this can go rancid, but if they are to be used and washed frequently it shouldn't be a problem. Personally I can't smell rancid oil on spoons I oiled months ago, but as I have said before, the sense of smell is very personal.

tahir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 16 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use veg oil on my own boards if I ever get round to it, but I guess if you're regularly using its not much of an issue whatever you seal with

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 16 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have beech free standing units,when i refurbished them a while back they got two coats of danish and probably get recoated twice a year.even though they dont get chopped on they do get washed down now and again and the finish has remained waterproof for a wipe or spill clear up and has kept its good looks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive