Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sexing Silver Speckled Hamburg Chicks

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 05 7:25 am    Post subject: Sexing Silver Speckled Hamburg Chicks Reply with quote

Anyone any ideas? They are 7 weeks old and I could do with knowing so as to sell.
Thanks in advance.

Wombat

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 05 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope someone answers this one as I fancy a couple of these myself in the future but don't want to push my luck with the neighbours and end up with a cockerel

Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 05 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a reply on another site.
The comb is wider, larger and redder on the cockerals at 8 weeks supposedly. Checked ours last night, 7.5weeks, looks like 2 C & 6 hens.
Can't offer you any of these, sorry, as all prebooked. We will however be having more later, maybe next year now.

Wombat

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 05 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they're lovely! Just brought my trio home and they're scratching around the run, ignoring the ducks. We now have three bantams, three hybrids and four ducks, each type in a distinct group. They chatted to me all the way home in the car! No need for radio: the conversation was definitely on my level.

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 05 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they peep every time you went over a bump we still remember bringing ours home...in a vacuum cleaner box

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 05 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they needed any excuse: although it could be my driving/suspension. Now they're in the run, they keep disappearing amongst the undergrowth! All I see is madly twitching foliage!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 05 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wombat - will remember you if I can persuade someone to let me squeeze some more in. Shouldn't really as I do quite like having a garden as well!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 05 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Mochyn you must be much nearer me and by the time I have persuaded other half you will probably be over run with them... Do you keep your different chickens separately or do they do that themselves?

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 05 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ruby: where are you? We're near Lake Vyrnwy.

The birds have organised themselves into groups: ducks over one side, bantams on another and hybrids somewhere else! Last night when I went to shut their door I couldn't see any chickens: then I looked up and found them roosting on the top of their 7' high fence! When I counted there was still one missing, but she was hiding inside the hosue in the shadows. We had to lift them down with the help of a step ladder and put them inside: when I went down this morning they were all happily inside: chickens and ducks, no obvious falling out in the night. The ducks came out immediately, the chickens following a few minutes later. I hope they get the idea tonight: the ducks only took a few days to get the hang of going in at night.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 05 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live just a bit north of Aberystwyth. Llyn Vyrynwy - lovely haven't been there for awhile though. Love your website - did you go to SDUC? Don't know why I ask that - just a feeling.

Anyway hens - we are new to it and love it. The woman we got our's from had them all separated out even though they seemed to be roughly the same ages. Big areas for them all and never asked her why but just wondered. We sometimes find ours have headed for the trees but thats because we have a bored ginger cat who loves chasing them. If they would just turn on him one day! Save me having to rescue them from the other side of the fence after they have taken fright and flown over - they then walk up and down it clucking nervously - until I can get them back in.

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 05 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruby: I'm slightly worried here: I haven't got a website! And no, 5 didn't go to SDUC, I'm Pershore. U of Brum and UCE. Must visit Aber one day: don't think I ever have.
The chickens tried a break for it last night, again, so I cheated and clipped their wings this morning as a last resort.

Wombat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 05 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to ask about your Website

Ruby, take more water with it next time

Wombat

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 05 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will (Sorry had read someone else's earlier got called away and then...) Aberystwyth's best in the winter after a storm when the streets are quiet and everywhere has a lovely scoured look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive