Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shoppers 'are threat to orang-utans'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:55 am    Post subject: Shoppers 'are threat to orang-utans' Reply with quote

https://www.foe.co.uk/

Shoppers 'threat to orang-utans'

Demand for crisps, bread, lipstick and soap could drive orang-utans to extinction, research suggests. The UK alone imports nearly a million tonnes of palm oil a year for use in such products, but campaigners say plantations for it destroy rainforests.
Friends of the Earth and international ape conservation groups warn in a report that 90% of the animals' habitat in South East Asia has been wiped out.

Their research claims the apes could become extinct within 12 years. The groups claim British supermarkets do not know where their palm oil is produced.

They are calling on the government to give company directors a legal duty to minimise their environmental impacts. Friends of the Earth palm oil campaigner Ed Matthew accused the government of "failing to clean up its own backyard".

He said: "Over 100 UK companies and every single British supermarket is helping fuel the obliteration of orang-utan habitat."
'Corporate greed'

The report, the Oil for Ape Scandal, said palm oil plantations have now become the primary cause of the orang-utans' decline in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Some experts estimated 5,000 orang-utans perished as a result every year.

The research claimed at least 84% of UK companies failed to take effective action to ensure they do not buy palm oil from destructive sources.

Ian Redmond, chairman of the Ape Alliance, said if the government failed to act, "it is we who will have to explain to our children that the orang-utan became extinct because of corporate greed and a lack of political will".

judith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I heard that on Today this morning. Just as I was planning to buy some palm oil for soap-making

Leonie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad to hear . I've used palm oil for soap making in the past, I'll make sure I don't buy it again. My recipes I use now use vegetable shortening, olive and calendula oil...I'll stick with that recipe.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that demonising palm oil isn't going to change a thing, the land will still be cleared for other purposes, people in the developing world want to catch up with us financially, they (by and large) don't care how.

I think it'd be a miracle if any of the great apes make it through to the end of the 21st century as wild animals

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Tahir on this.

I heard the 'spin' this morning on the radio, but I thought "c**p".

Habitat conservation is a matter for the (sadly relatively restricted) area wherein Orang Utangs live.

Palm Oil is produced, I believe, right around the tropics.

Its hardly a 'good' dietary oil, being very saturated.
But it is damn useful, and an important economic crop in many countries.
The yield of oil, per acre, is one of the highest for any oil-bearing crop.
And yes, that does mean its used as a biofuel, and shows great promise of being an important source of biodiesel raw material.
But that DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean *any* harm to Orang Utangs.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now feel in quite a quandry about this.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie wrote:
I now feel in quite a quandry about this.

Ah, but that's what trying to act ethically is all about.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quandry is often felt.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:

Get one of the cotton ones, they're much easier to clean.

Res

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I think it'd be a miracle if any of the great apes make it through to the end of the 21st century as wild animals

Well said Tahir. I totally agree

What is ironic, is that we try and impose on third world countries to take steps to preserve habitats, which is good BUT, we are crap at looking after our own native woodlands, marshlands etc.etc. Makes me mad

Res

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

Get one of the cotton ones, they're much easier to clean.

Andy B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is that for a lot of people its either the animals or them, not many people think about room for both. The only ones that do are people in the first world who have already got rid of their big animals and would do the same again tommorow if neccesary.

Res

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
The bottom line is that for a lot of people its either the animals or them, not many people think about room for both. The only ones that do are people in the first world who have already got rid of their big animals and would do the same again tommorow if neccesary.

EXACTLY MY SENTIMENTS!

Thanks Andy

Bec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 05 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now tigers are believed to become extinct in just 5 years if people keep buying their skins
Bec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive