Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sisal for knitting

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 05 9:06 am    Post subject: Sisal for knitting Reply with quote

I know there was a thread a while ago dealing with making bath mits, and I need one! My old one is in holes. And no, I don't mean the ones that should be there. I've been trying to get some sisal of an appropriate gauge, but no luck. Any ideas? Or an alternative: sisal is always imported. I'll be doing sisal one side and soft cotton the other.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 05 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington Womble is your lady!! I think she's studying at the mo, but she makes bath mitts out of sisal. I too have found there are different grades of string when trying out things on my peg loom.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 05 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of studying (it's too easy to pop on here, see! )

I'll post some piccies at the weekend.

ojosverdes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 05 9:25 pm    Post subject: sisal for a bath mitt Reply with quote

i am looking for a good bath mitt pattern. i saw some postings from april, but no final pattern or designs. i liked the idea of knitting sisal on the outside, cotton inside.

any suggestions would be great!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 05 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I have beenn totally inept at posting piccies (I have trieed several times, honest!)

The official pattern is:

7 stitches to 10cm over stocking stitch on 10mm needles

cast on 12 stitches. work in stocking stitch for 40cm. Fold in half width ways with smooth side inside, leaving cast on and cast off edges open, use a strand of sisal string (unravelled) to sew edges together, turn to right side out, and attatch a hanging loop to one corner.

I didn't follow it, though, and did it in plain knit, as I can't do purl yet (still!!) and made it smaller as I have tiny hands - I just knitted till I could fold it over my hand, and then sewed it up! It is a bit loose though, so maybe I should try stocking stitch! Very simple, and lots of room for experimentation - doesn't take long either, but is hard work to knit with - good exercise! I'm going to do a few pan scrubs next, to experiment a bit, and then knit some more to go with my home-made soap and handcream for xmas pressies.

You might need to experiment with the grades of string a bit, as they do vary, but you can't really tell until you knit them - if you start with scourers, there's no waste though!

Mochyn might be able to give you a bit more guidance, as she was planning cotton on one side I think - and she's a much better knitter than me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive