Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Slate roof

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 18 10:19 am    Post subject: Slate roof Reply with quote

We have just moved house that has a slate roof. There is no membrane under the slates themselves. With the snow we've had this weekend and the high winds, we have some snow in the loft space.

Is there any way I can stop this happening without having the whole roof redone and membrane installing before the slates go back on?

At some point this year I will be converting the loft into a usable space so I will be wanting to insulate between the rafters.

Thanks in advance.

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 18 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how well slate does with being a "hot roof" (i.e., directly over conditioned/heated/unvented air space). Seems a possible concern, as they traditionally are put up on very well ventilated spaces (or at least provide a good deal of ventilation themselves).

If you've got snow going through, then yes you'll need to re-roof before using the loft space. I'm still trying to picture how that happens, as it's not something that would be easily possible with the way slate roofs have been done on this side of the pond.

I'm not sure how applicable it is to UK style slate roofing, but the slate roof bible guy is a good resource: https://josephjenkins.com/books_slate.html He has put out lots of videos going into detail about ins and outs of using slate, and how it's supposed to work best.

(his humanure handbook is a good read too! And I think it and possibly the slate roof bible can be found as free pdf files)

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 18 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it properly as you do the loft conversion

if you just want a attic storage space if the slates are in fairly good condition new battens and a membrane and re lay is probably your best option for price, look and dry.
beware loads etc

if you are going for the full loft rooms thing work it into the roof alterations schedule and take advice on the best options.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 18 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the others advice. The slate roof we had was in bad repair and we had it redone with membrane under it. Realised how bad ours was when it dripped on me in bed one morning.

If the slates are done properly it should be very hard for snow to get under them, although it is very penetrating and seems to get into places you wouldn't expect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive