Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Snaring fish ?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 06 8:57 am    Post subject: Snaring fish ? Reply with quote

I don't condone this method at all but just out of interest this is a quick run down of what you do.

You need a braided wire snare , not as thick as a rabbit snare but still fairly rigid . If the wire is a bit shiny bury it in the garden for a week or so to take the newness off it.

Cut your self an innocent looking thumb stick and practice fastening your snare securely to the end of it.

Go for a walk with your stick and with the snare in your pocket along side a river or a canal say and this is where a set of polaroid glasses might come in handy.

Next thing to do is to spot your fish as it lies by the margin. Check that there aren't any spectators and attach your snare. Put the snare up stream from the fish and slowly bring it down stream towards the fish as though it were just a bit of debris coming down with the current.
Without touching the fish pass the wire over the fishes head and past its gills. Then with a sharp but controlled motion lift the walking stick and the fish upwards and out onto the bank.
This method works really well on long lengthy fish such as salmon or pike.
I always check any fish that I see that are on the slab for the the tell tale ring of removed scales just behind the head.
Only unscrupulous people would poach fish in this manner, so I only pass it on as a matter of interest or just in case you find yourself in a survival situation.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 06 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this realy any worse than fishing with a hook with the fish having to fight for its life for a few mins? At least the fish will be dead very quickly...
Justme

Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 06 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Is this realy any worse than fishing with a hook with the fish having to fight for its life for a few mins? At least the fish will be dead very quickly...
Justme

If yo feel that strongly then this begs the question as to why are you in the shooting and trapping section of this site?

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 06 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me.
You are absolutely right.
The only difference is that fishing is legal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive