About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Today's forage...
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 16 10:14 am    Post subject: Today's forage... Reply with quote

... is gorse. It's fairly warm in the sun and there's quite a few of our bees out foraging on the gorse this morning, several with large amounts of burnt sienna coloured pollen.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 16 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made some very nice gorse mead one year.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 16 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took hours to pick enough flowers for a gallon mind. Boy Wonder said it was the worst afternoon of his entire life (up to that point, I assume it's been superseded by now).

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 16 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some variety of gorse in flower all year, but the spring/summer flowering one is the more common and prolific I think. I think our bees are probably dozing a bit, or might be finding a bit of ivy still.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 16 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees out in force on the gorse today, despite a frosty start. Plenty of pollen going in and rather a large number taking in water as well. I thought they would be a lot quieter over winter.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 16 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be starting to build up for the summer as the winter has been so mild so far. Bringing in pollen usually shows they are starting the breeding season again.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks, the gorse info has convinced me that it would be ideal for the spikey part of the hedge as i'm after giving the local wild bees all the help i can at the new orchard site.

i spose that with a bit of planning i can provide them with all year forage ( bee friendly weather permitting ) if they might require it so as they are available for duty in fruit flower season.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 16 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good idea Dpack, but I would try to get the winter flowering type. You could also think about offering a site in a remote corner for a beekeeper to keep a hive or two.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 16 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a beek hive might be a step too far as the plan is for an outdoor classroom/ food science resource for a primary school as well as a community orchard.

there is a new site option im looking into which would be perfect for a couple of hives as it is tucked away between 4 "owned" sites and has no "public" access.

the old hospital orchard on the fulford retail park has bees but that is also a low footfall site as although it has public access it is only visited by folk who know it is there and they are , mostly, fairly sensible.

on the CRP site i recon that plenty of suitable habitat provision and year round forage plants should give enough pollination cover as well as making a good wild bee refuge without being too intimidating or potentially dangeroos.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 17 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sunny and still day after frost and there's a very large amount of bees out today, almost like summer.

Today there's only a few on the gorse and most of the pollen going in seems to be a pale yellow. Possibly hazel pollen although most of the nearby hazel catkins are still tightly shut, a few are open so somewhere they could be a large patch.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 17 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazel is quite variable in when the catkins drop. Think it is so that the female flowers stand a good chance of being pollinated by another plant, or something.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 17 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today they've found the snowdrops. There's quite a few single flower (i.e. non-double) snowdrops about the place and we saw several bees with small orange pollen sacs.

Not a vast number out at the moment, although it's fine today it's still a bit cold and windy.

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 17 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I went towards the trans-orchard bridge recently, I could hear the hum of dozens of bees on the winter-flowering honeysuckle from 20 yards away. I planted it a year ago on the bank of the stream and it's a very useful shrub in winter, quiet and unassuming for the rest of the year.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 17 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our bees were flying yesterday. They are probably bringing in hazel as the catkins have dropped. About the only thing out at the moment.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 17 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we've got some calm after some recent rough weather there's bees everywhere. On all the gorse all over our place, on all the snowdrops and there's a steady stream flowing back from the woodland. Looks more like late spring than late winter, time to get some supers ready.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive