Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Trailcams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 20 11:19 am    Post subject: Trailcams Reply with quote

Anyone any experience of a trailcam?

Thinking it might be a fun Christmas present. I'm after something we can pop in the garden/local wood/hedgerows, works on a battery, is motion sensitive and takes a picture of whatever it sees and saves it to a memory card.

We've got hedgehogs and badgers and foxes and stuff, be nice to see them.

I see them advertised from £20 up. I'm assuming some are awful, and some are David Attenborough level. Any reviews or experience or thoughts would be nice, please.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 20 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc there have been ds trailcam snaps, i cannot remember who did them , buzzy?

broad camera kit advice for night as well as day is go for quality rather than maximum pixels, a decent lens ie a big hole and nice glass is far better than fancy electrics, fancy electrics is good but only with good glass

for amusement, sharing snaps and learning, a bit less than 10meg P is very adequate

IR mode is nice for darkness, ie they do not see the flash but tis a better snap than a "low light" sensor which uses available light

for a trail cam i expect ease of tying it to a tree is an issue so make sure the casing has adaptable attachment points

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 20 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have quite a good one, but sadly neither husband nor I am sure what make it is. Will try to find out. It does good quality pictures during the daylight and enough to tell you what the animal is in darkness. Runs off batteries and has a chip that can be used to run the whole lot on the computer. Motion activated.

roobarb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 20 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a similar question back in 2016
https://forum.downsizer.net/about86204.html&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

We went for a Bushnell camera from NatureSpy, and we've been very happy with it. Does day and night, sound, pictures or video. Runs on 8 AA batteries; we bought some long lasting rechargeable ones, which have yet to run out of charge when putting it out over night. Comes with a strap to attach to a tree, which had limited use, so bought a pole attachment for it (screws in the base), so you can stick it anywhere you like. Have had some wonderful images, particularly at night of hedgehogs, foxes, rabbits, cats and rats. It has also been very useful in monitoring other things, such as seeing what else is eating our chicken food, other than the chickens; how rats are getting into the loft and various other useful things that need recording day or night.
I think you can pay what you like for these, but as with everything you get what you pay for.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 20 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. This is the perfect answer. I knew we'd asked before.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 20 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may have a similar one. Know it runs on 8 batteries, but because ours is on 24 hours a day, we do need to change both the chip and batteries now and again. Ours is strapped to a pine tree in the woods to monitor the 'yard'.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 21 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying a couple of £20* ones. Actually quite impressive in the light. I’ve put them out in the field for a few days, to see what we can see. I’ll post anything interesting. Unsure how sensitive they are, but first impressions are surprisingly good.

* You also need to buy/supply a micro SD card and batteries.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 21 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught an intruder last night....

Before.

A few seconds later...

She has been suitably admonished. Several stills of her drinking from the pond. Bad dog!

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 21 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron had a liking for pig pen run off

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 21 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you know where the dog was.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive