Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Trumpet Chanterelle?

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 13 4:27 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Chanterelle? Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give a 2nd opinion on the pictured fungus? I'm like 99% certain it is Cantharellus tubaeformis but could be mistaken.

There were a large number of them growing around the area.
- Growing in moss around unknown decid saplings (probably birch but not sure) bordered by mature woodland, (oak and spruce)
- The colours are not great in my photos (sorry).The stem is quite yellow, the top of the cap brown-yellow, underside of cap has greyish tinge to it.
- They are hollow and have ridges rather than full gills.
- The gills(ridges) do run to the stem, but do not continue down the stem as far as for golden chantereles. This is the only thing really making me question my ID.

Thanks

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 13 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smell?

HKS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 13 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smell wasn't that strong or particuarly distinctive. Not the apricot smell I would associate with golden Chants. Anything nasty that i need to rule out?

None of the books i have cover it but been looking on the web. So far i haven't found any notes on potential lookalikes for this variant. But i don't want to jump the gun.

fungi2bwith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 13 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they are winter (trumpet) chanterelles. The false gills, hole through the middle, and yellowish stem confirm this. The only thing it might be confused with is rarer closely related species which are similarly edible.

I think the smell is very distinctive, not sure how to describe it but I've heard it described as a treacle-like smell. I collected loads of these today.

Garry

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 13 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2.5kg of them in 3 days after finding my first spot. The gills would be much less defined if it was golden chanterelle (I'm assuming that's what you're saying it could be confused with f2bw?)

fungi2bwith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 13 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="(I'm assuming that's what you're saying it could be confused with f2bw?)[/quote]

Yes, thats the most likely, though the sinous chanterelle can look similar. I have never knowingly found a golden chanterrelle (Cantharellus xanthopus). However, I think the golden chanterrelles the OP is refering to, are normal chanterrelles (cantharellus cibarius).

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 13 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fungi2bwith wrote:
However, I think the golden chanterrelles the OP is refering to, are normal chanterrelles (cantharellus cibarius).

A fair point given the description! I missed that bit

HKS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 13 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i have been misusing golden i did mean Cantharellus cibarius.

thanks for the help and comments The trumpet ones i think have a slightly sweet hint to the smell, treacle sounds about right. I hesitated to say sweet as its not the sweet fruity aroma of Cantharellus cibarius.

There seemed to be loads around the area Scott. A very lucky find for me, i wandered into the saplings more by mistake than judgement and was working out how to get out (foraged myself into a corner so to speak), sort of noticed one, then another and another....

I will return tommorow to collect a few to try, thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive