Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Turkey auction for festive feast

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 7:26 pm    Post subject: Turkey auction for festive feast Reply with quote

A monster turkey big enough to feed a small village has been sold for £1,700 at auction in Aberdeenshire.

The 74lb bird will take more than 24 hours to cook and provide Christmas dinners for more than 100 people.

It was produced by Donside Turkeys, based in Inverurie, and the company said the six month old male was the biggest it had produced in 40 years.

Guinness World Records said the heaviest turkey on record was 86lbs and was sold in 1989 for £4,400.

Inverurie baker JG Ross saw off rival bids for the turkey at Aberdeen and Northern Marts in Inverurie on Tuesday evening.

The two most important things are the quality of the feed and the environment
David Gall
Donside Turkeys
The bird was among 100 turkeys available at the auction.

Donside Turkeys owner David Gall said he was shocked to beat the firm's own previous record of 69lbs.

"I thought it might be quite big but that it was just another big bird," he said.

"But when I saw the reading I realised then that it would be pandemonium."

Speaking before the auction, Mr Gall said he expected a local hotel or caterer to buy the turkey as it is too big for a normal domestic oven.

He said: "There has been a lot of interest from big hotels in the area but it may be bought by someone and then donated to charity.

"It can feed more than 100 people so it is one hell of a size of a bird for a family."

Roast beef

On the secret of his success, Mr Gall said: "The two most important things are the quality of the feed and the environment.

"It has got to be natural food - no hormones or synthetics. It is not fair on the public and it is not fair on the birds."

The company produces and hand plucks more than 1,000 turkeys a year.

Mr Gall said the oats, wheat and grain that form the basis of the turkeys' diet were grown on the family farm, while soya came from a local supplier.

Asked if he would be eating turkey on Christmas day, Mr Gall joked: "I'll be having roast beef. I'm fed up with the sight of them."

Guinness World Records said the category of heaviest turkey has been stopped, along with all other "heaviest animal" records, on welfare grounds.
Story from BBC NEWS:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/4114753.stm

Published: 2004/12/21 20:28:17 GMT

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the idea of a record for livestock weight a bit perverse. Any one else.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that Guinness have stopped recording them.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. It is like the fattest person. Sad, not something to celebrate.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem unlikely that a 76lb turkey had much fun. I'm amazed its legs held out.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 04 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had comments about my geese looking underfed..............

They arer lovely, happy and content!
Thay bang on the window with their beaks, when hungry! All I can say is the window is quiet! The birds sit contented!

Dxx

Legion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 04 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that when we were in the hotel room in inverness, and thought it a bit sick, force fed, bet it has no taste whatsoever, poor buggar, and shame on the sickos who reared it and more so the fool that bought it.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 04 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive