Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What can you get for say £200,000
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 04 6:37 pm    Post subject: What can you get for say £200,000 Reply with quote

I'd love to move somewhere with a big house and a chunk of land. But I can't seem to find much within my scope I am only casually looking as I cannot do anything for at least 5 years anyway, but is it really the case that you need big bucks to get into the game?

I have said a big house, as realistically we use loads of space in the way we live. We could not compromise too much on that score.

jema

ps) not playing silly b's with the Elfy tag, it is a test account trying to see if I can recreate login issues that have been reported.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 04 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but it's a very apt question as that's more or less what I thought about a couple of years ago. Where could I go for about 250K and possibly have something in the bank.

I like Cornwall, Devon (Dorset is a bit too close to London). Scotland was a possibility but may be a little too cold for the various ideas I have for growing fruit & veg (figs, vines, peaches etc). However, I would need to work for years to buy somewhere and I'm not going to wait much longer.

So, although I have no connection to France, I realised that there are parts of France that are still cheap compared to the UK but can offer a reasonable sized home and a fair bit of land. Being a bit of a typical English bloke I had to sit down and think about it.

But it still seems like a good idea, I find I have far more in common with some of the French country folk than people in the South East of England, the wine is cheaper and, well, we still should own Brittany after all.

Of course I will need to learn French as there is nothing worse than an Englishman living abroad who cannot speak the language but having mulled over the issue for a few years I cannot see much wrong with the idea.

Wombat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 04 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl...............what about all your local friends, family, the varied seasons, the short not very warm summers, the long cold winters, fish & chips in newspaper, road rage, EU rules and rules (that only we have to abide to), etc., etc................surely you would miss all this??

Wombat

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 04 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
we still should own Brittany after all.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 04 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the friends we have already live in France and most of the other good friends have or will move about a fair bit.

I don't have a large family and my OH's is mainly based up North. I dare say we would see more people if we had a nice smallholding. Several friends & family often go on holiday to the very places we would like to buy.

The only thing I think I would miss is Bitter, but I have made my own and plan to grow my own hops.

I would like to here if anyone has any other things to consider.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 04 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we moved to NI as it was the only way to afford land. It's the same principle as a londoner decamping to dorset but S.Wales to Northern Ireland doesn't have the same ring to it.

To be honest if you don't have the cash you have to compromise in other areas. Geography is the main one obviously.

£200k would get you something nice with about 10 acres here.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 04 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
£200k would get you something nice with about 10 acres here.

Now if it wasn't so near you I might be tempted

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 04 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't get you much round here. But I can vouch that people are more likely to visit you in the country.
Cheers, Sean

Tracey Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 04 12:43 pm    Post subject: the moving to France bit... Reply with quote

You are right, in France 200k sterling could well buy you space and a place ready to move into, or in need or loving restoration/renovation and the change to do so.

The implications of downshifting abroad are enormous and there are lots of +'s and -'s.

I have been here since early 2002 and as a family, we are still finding our feet.

It takes ages to get really settled and there are probably always going to be things you miss, but on the whole, the benefits help outweight them.

I write the downshifting section on www.FrenchEntree.com/fe-downshifting and try to present the up and down sides to making such a move.

The rest of the main site www.FrenchEntree.com is brilliant and gives you a good all round view of moving to France. I am sure you will find it helpful.

I have posted details of a language event at Olympia under "Events" and believe there will be lots of freebies too so if you can make it, it might be useful.

Good luck!

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 04 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you decide on France Tracey? Did you already speak French?

Tracey Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 04 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had reasonable schoolgirl French and just got cracking with it once we decided to move over. We had friends who moved to France 18 months before with their young family and had settled in well.

The difference in property prices would allow us to be mortgage free, live a simple life in the countryside and enjoy raising our kids.

It has been a struggle to get everything set up but we are happy here, but the key to making the wheels turn easier is undoubtedly having a good handle on the language

Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 04 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey, is the weather over the whole year that much better just down there in SW France? We are playing with the thoughts of moving somewhere warmer/not as wet, yet I would miss the Autumn and cold Winter not the wet one!

Wombat

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 04 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big issue with me to. I don't necessarily want to move to somewhere baking, but I find the British winter wet and miserable. Cold I can deal with.

jema

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 04 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I have my eye on at the moment is in Scotland - 2.66 acres (hill/graing) plus dilapidated crofthouse ("ruinous building" they call it ), literally across the road from the shore. You need acceptance by the Crofting Commission before you can live there, which may be a problem for some.

6,000 sterling. "Cheque book.........Jerry!

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 04 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But won't you be limiting what you can grow and stuff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive