links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What do you plant your tomatoes in?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 16 10:10 pm    Post subject: What do you plant your tomatoes in? Reply with quote

I did ten inch pots last year, but I think they were too small. My greenhouse is paved, so I need to plant into something. I've tried growbags, but I find them fiddly to water and hard to put canes in.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growbags sat the "wrong" way up to make "buckets" works pretty well

joanne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the pots you see the flowers in at the supermarket, I think they were about 10 inch ones but deeper than standard pots and ½ grow bags (cut one grow bag in half and get a plant in each end) both have been fine but you do need to feed them well and keep them watered

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried, I still plant in the soil but there are a lot of fans on-line for straw bale growing.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. What do you feed with, Jo? I Bought red stuff in a bottle last year, which is not what I'd like.

Also, how do people support? I did canes last year, but extricating them again takes ages. I was thinking of trying those spiral things.

I made really nice pizza last night and I can't wait to make it with fresh tomatoes and basil. So I am having a small tomato-growing obsession today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a wooden greenhouse I used binder twine, sisal, not polystring. It worked by tying to a hook at the top, and to the handle of a plastic bucket.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for using a dangling string to support stuff,ace for cucumbers as well.

re pots etc the grow bag on end trick(or a sack of home made compost) works well

or perhaps a pallet planter?

or perhaps a 25 litre ex food container?

or just about anything that will hold 25 litres of compost per large tomato plant

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps hydroponics are ace if you are a bit techy with feeding,have a fish tank pump ,a water butt or similar and some guttering.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to try aquaponics. I'm waiting until I get my polytunnel, the greenhouse is a bit snug for it.

I tried the string thing one year. I 'planted' the string under the tomato plant and used some fancy greenhouse key clips that twisted into the metal. It was a bit of a faff, but it worked OK as far as I remember.

I need some bigger pots. Just need to work out what size, and I'll order them.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or similar

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used ring culture with some success. You need something to contain the aggregate/gravel though obviously.

I'm slightly disappointed that nobody has announced that they're biodynamic and answered 'in the nude at the correct phase of the moon'.

Last edited by sean on Sat Apr 23, 16 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that part goes without saying!

joanne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 16 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Interesting. What do you feed with, Jo? I Bought red stuff in a bottle last year, which is not what I'd like.

Also, how do people support? I did canes last year, but extricating them again takes ages. I was thinking of trying those spiral things.

I made really nice pizza last night and I can't wait to make it with fresh tomatoes and basil. So I am having a small tomato-growing obsession today.

I bought an organic tomato feed online last year but the best tomatoes I ever grew were fed a combination of comfrey and nettle feed, it may have smelt like the dead but it was brilliant!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 16 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
or similar

I was hoping for something longer and thinner, or I will only be able to grow half the number of tomatoes plants I've planted! Haven't found anything, unless I can pursuade tescos to part with flower buckets, though.

Jo, I was vaguely thinking of stuffing a net bag or nettles or the like into the water butt (I use a dripper system for them) but if smells that bad maybe I won't. I have a gazillion oil drums hanging about the place, so I dare say one of those can be sited out of the way somewhere.

Shan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 16 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plant our tomatoes in rather large pots and then I place 3 pots per growbag tray (the long black trays). You can put a good inch of water plus feed into the tray to be slowly absorbed. The pots are slightly smaller than a standard bucket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive