Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What to add to handcream?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 7:07 pm    Post subject: What to add to handcream? Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest something mildly abrasive to add to my homemade handcream? I have a really effective Virgin handcream which apparently has sugar granules added so it smooths the hands and leaves a moisturising layer at the same time. I want to add something similar to my own homemade creams (almond oil beeswax etc) but surely sugar would slowly dissolve and therefore become sticky even if added when everything is cool? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe ground up beans (but this might destroy my food processor?)

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground almonds work well. 'Japanese washing grains' are really Aduki beans ground up, and fine oatmeal works well. You could keep a small jar of sugar next to the cream to add as you go along? Or, try this trick, when washing your hands before applying eth cram, add a bit of salt or sugar to the soap lather, and really work it in, then use the cream. Exfoliated clean hands and no bits in your handcream.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee grounds will do, and are also reputed to remove any lingering smells from your hands. You could also use ground pumice which you could get from a chemist or from soap making suppliers.

Moira

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not something you can add to cream, but a really cool thing anyway,

Pour a big dollop of honey on your hands and rub it in, then on top of the honey add sugar (dip hands into a pre-prepared bowl if you don't want honey everywhere), massage into the hands for a half-to-one full minute and then rinse off in clean water - leaves your hands feeling all soft and wonderful.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do this with almond oil, and your hands tingle with pleasure afterwards

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great - thank you all. I will definitely try the neat honey tip - forget the rinse off bit though yummy (I will wash them well first!) I can eat oatmeal but when I apply it straight onto my skin in creams I get a slight itchy warm reaction - so I now avoid it and Body Shop type of products that contain it as well. Probably meqans i shouldn't actually be eating it either but I would miss porridge and flapjack.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornmeal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive