links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What to grow under greenhouse staging

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 11:01 am    Post subject: What to grow under greenhouse staging Reply with quote

We have a small greenhouse and the staging take up about two thirds of one side. The staging is always full but the area under it is not used much. We cannot store stuff there as it gets wet and dirty from the plants on top. Under part of it I've managed to squeeze in a small water butt. This helps keep the greenhouse warmer at night and ensures the water is the right temperature for watering plants.

However, what to grow under the rest. Something that likes it warm and shady. Any ideas?

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of my greenhouses, we made a section of hanging stagin, after seeing a picture in a magazine; this gives much more room underneath as the staging itself is higher, and there are no legs to gt in the way. I have successfully grown the following understaging: lettuces of all kinds (they appreciate the cooler and slightly more shady area, in my experience), spring onions, lamb's lettuce, early French beans (dwarf), nasturtiums, radishes, squash. This year because people have very generously swapped lots of types of squash with me, it will probably be squah under every abailable bit of staging in all the greenhouses! They do very well, but do grow rampantly, so have to be stopped or they will take over the greenhosue and grow out of the roof..................trust me on that one Kept well watered, they do well.

Nanny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 1:33 pm    Post subject: greenhouse staging Reply with quote

my husband fitted out the staging in my greenhouse on the shadier side and it was made of roofing battens so it is just the right height for potting and sowing things. as it is made of wood, we were able to screw some hooks into it and i suspend the hanging baskets in there when just palnted and until the weather is really warm enough not to worry about them. it will take all 10 baskets underneath there and has saved them from really bad windy weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive