Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Whatever happened to ostrich farming?

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 11:08 am    Post subject: Whatever happened to ostrich farming? Reply with quote

I remember a few years ago we were all being told how incredibly poular ostrich meat was going to become, what happened? Anybody ever tried it, or reared them?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some last week. Ostritch is very lean and lasts a bit like veal/young pork.

At the farmers market there is a big stall from an ostritch farm and they are always very popular.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...but then I am a vegetarian crank . Know what you mean though and haven't seen it mushroom as promised.

There was a Floyd repeat on aagges ago where he was cooking in SA I think, surrounded by ostriches. I believe he was cooking ostrich meat and they kept sticking their beaks in.

The most interesting thing I remember was that one egg - which you can use - is the equivalent of a couple of dozen or more hens' eggs. And I think you needed a hammer and chisel to get through the shell

Imagine the ark you'd need for a trio of them in the back yard

cab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an ostrich farmer has a stall on Cambridge farmers/craft market, every Sunday. Nice little stall, sells ostrich meat, sausages, steaks and mince and the like, but the big attraction is freshly cooked ostrich burgers.

I think that the big problem with ostrich is that it's not as good at anything as something else is, if that makes sense. For anything I can think of cooking, for any kind of meal, there's always something better and cheaper.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it more expensive than beef?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the vagueness of my memory i seem to remember a story from 5 or 6 years ago about the main supplier/franchiser going bust in dubious circumstances. Lots of people invested and set up their own little operations and then the support/marketing network collapsed due to unpaid bills, lack of money and the big cheese doing a runner.

Might be wrong - I often am according to my wife.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

Yes.

The eggs are about 32 hens eggs I think they said. They usually blow the eggs, having drilled it with a drimmel drill and then sell them lacquered for about £5 each to the craft and lifestyle market.

twoscoops

Very tasty meat, nice and lean too.

BTW Cab - is the farmers market in the little nook where the craft market is? I thought it was in the market square.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
In the vagueness of my memory i seem to remember a story from 5 or 6 years ago about the main supplier/franchiser going bust in dubious circumstances. Lots of people invested and set up their own little operations and then the support/marketing network collapsed due to unpaid bills, lack of money and the big cheese doing a runner.

Might be wrong - I often am according to my wife.

I also seem to remember a lot of scam invest in an Osterich farm schemes. May have badly undermined the whole thing

jema

cab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twoscoops wrote:
Very tasty meat, nice and lean too.

BTW Cab - is the farmers market in the little nook where the craft market is? I thought it was in the market square.

The farmers market is in market square. It used to be the case that on Sundays close to christmas, we also had a craft market in the main square, but said craft market did so well it's now a farmers and craft market. Not a huge farmers market, but what is there is basically good, and the main daily market is a cracker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive