Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
White Elderberries???

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 05 6:48 pm    Post subject: White Elderberries??? Reply with quote

The boys and I have been out today and quite impressed at what we found, about 20bls of cooking apples, 5 1/2lb of plums, carrier bag full of elderberries and a few pound of blackberries. Whilst gathering we also found some whiteberries, not quite sure what these are. They grow on a tree/bush same as elderberries, even form the same berry formation as elderberries but they are similar in colour to white currants.

Please has anyone got any idea what they are have tried searching google but to no avail. I've picked one bunch just to reference but am wondering can I use them for anything further.

Well back to the freezing and jam making now, loads to do!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 05 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a form of white elderberry, but the berries are more albino (colourless, a translucent greenish tinge to them) than actual white. I have it growing in my garden. It's laden this year for the first time; thought I might try some "white" elderberry wine.
Make sure of what you're picking before you eat it though, ofcourse.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 05 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is indeed a greeny white form, being Sambucus nigra var. viridis, but it's rather uncommon. I can't immediately find a good picture of it online, but the berry is definitely more greenish than whiteish.

Robert Coombs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 11 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to find 'white' elderberry photos too without any luck. I have photos on file and here they are -

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 11 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Robert, welcome to the forum - Thanks for posting the photos - very interesting. If I passed them I'd just assume they weren't ripe. But presumably they are sweet and juicy.

What do they taste like compared with black ones?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 11 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here near Beeston Rylands in just outside of Nottingham? Are there still white elderberries growing opposite the entrance to the Boots factory (other side of the roundabout)?

madcat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 11 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should have a downsizer white elderberry planting campaign,I would plant some in the garden here

rich59

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 20 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been growing white/ green/ yellow fruiting elderberries for some years. Each bush is different in various characters, shape, fruiting ability, taste, especially the wines they make.

I have found 2 sorts of location where they occur - a) site of big victorian gardens, b) along canals.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most canals date from the not too pre-Victorian into the early Victorian period, perhaps they were popular at that time.

rich59

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the old garden ones were seen as ornamental.

The canal ones suggest they were useful to the canal folk in some way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive