Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Winter Roots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 10:43 am    Post subject: Winter Roots Reply with quote

Just in case anyone isn't gorging themselves on good winter root vegetables right now... GET DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL MARKET AND DO SOME SERIOUS FOOD SHOPPING

Seriously, there are some belting good veg to be had. If you have a good market, you'll find Jerusalem artichokes, good big winter carrots, beetroot, parsnips, kohl rabi, swedes, winter turnips, celeriac, and, if you're really lucky and have a posh stall on the market, salsify.

And they're all good, all at their best now.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kohl Rabi and carroway seed soup for me tonight or roast roots and cabbage.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're busy packing at the mo so didn't get round to proper shopping at the weekend, had to pop in to Tesco Express the other night, the ONLY veg they had were:

Spanish Courgette
Dutch mushrooms
Kenyan beans
Kenyan sugarsnap peas
Zimbabwe baby sweet corn

cab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's heartbreaking! At the time of year when you want good hot food, soups, stews, and strong flavours, all Tescos had was the ingredients for a bland stir fry!

And at a time when there are LOADS of great home grown vegetables to eat!

Bernie66

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast onion, garlic, parsnip potato and carrot. What else could you want - meat i guess- roast.
Real Winter food for real winter weather.. And don't buy carrots from bloody Holland!

Nanny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonight was a simple dinner of homemade cream of chicken and leek soup with my own onions, stock and i confess to tesco organic leeks as mine aren't big enough yet and with a dollop of double cream to finish it off

yummmmmmmmmmmm

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a choice between winter roots and summer sunshine, I'll take winter roots every time. I love winter (even when it rains!)

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never tried roasting swede before but it is lovely sprinkled with a little chilli powder

Oh and swede and potato mash - cannot beat it

cab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernie wrote:

Oh and swede and potato mash - cannot beat it

It's very hard to beat it... Although I think a couple of Jerusalem artichokes in there, a good bit of butter and a little nutmeg might just have it pipped. It's a close call, though

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swede & spud mash: in Wales, that's Stwmp Maip. Tone of buter is essential! The old chap would live on it, with some meat, if I let him.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Root veggies are particularly tast y at the moment because they've been subjected to one or two forsts, which panics the vegetables into madly producing sugars within themselves ...

My personal favourite is a Mad Mash made of parsnip, carrot, swede and potato with LOTS of ground white pepper, a drop of milk and a knob of butter.

Done in no time at all in my spanking new pressure cooker ...!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonights dinner is all uk produced - beef stew with swede and celleraic mash - stew has leeks, onions, carrots, swede, celleraic and spuds in. Only foreign stuff is a splash of red. I'll try harder......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive