Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Schools
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 12:45 pm    Post subject: Schools Reply with quote

My daughter came home from school yesterday and told me all about a PHSE lesson they had been given by trainee teachers on recycling. When the large class of thirteen year olds were asked if their families and themselves recycled things - she was the only one who put her hand up. She was amazed because she thought that it was the norm (I bring em up proper ) Bit depressing - lets hope the message got across. She is probably going to drive all her friends mad now by preaching at them everytime they head towards a bin.(atagirl)

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Schools Reply with quote

What's PHSE?

That is terrible. I'm still working on my own family (at a distance) and I'm always amazed how many people I know that don't think of even putting their scrap paper in the recycling bin or putting bottles out for separate collection.

As for the neighbours (and they aren't as nice as Monkey's neighbours so there's very little I can do about them).

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs............Personal Health & Social Education ...

judith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I'm none the wiser, Mrs N

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHSE can't remember - hence the initials - it always sounds to me like the most useful lesson - they get taught stuff about real life - using (or NOT using!) credit cards, banking, stuff about relationships, poverty, charity work, how they feel about different issues - all the things that schools (and families) should be about.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly Harmless Social Engineering

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
Nope. I'm none the wiser, Mrs N

Is it what used to be called civics?

I never got none of that stuff, hasn't done me any harm

Lozzie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" PSHE helps pupils to lead confident, healthy and responsible lives as individuals and members of society. Its aims are: to help pupils live healthily and safely and deal with the spiritual, moral, social and cultural issues they face as they approach adulthood; to understand and manage responsibly a wider range of relationships as they mature; to show respect for the diversity of, and differences between, people; to develop their well-being and self-esteem; and, to enable them to take responsibility for their learning and future choice of courses and career. Responsible citizenship forms an important aspect of PHSE. "

Ruby your story is a good one because it illustrates how the Government's messages about R, R, R is still not getting across to people

I am hoping that when the Extended Schools initiative gets more underway then there will be a new and glorious era of sustainably-minded children beavering away to do their bit at saving the planet in after-school "Eco-Clubs"

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Perfectly Harmless Social Engineering

Most of my family still don't recycle, it's shocking. The pitiful thing is that I think if they were provided with recycle bins along with their normal bins, then they would, but it's surprising how many councils still don't provide these, ours included!

We do have a seperate collection which comes round after the main bin wagon, but it's not advertised at all, you have to put only minimal things out in plastic bags, and if you didn't go out of your way to find out about it, you wouldn't really know it happened, esp. if you work, it comes round about midday.

Shocking really, but not too surprised more people don't recycle.

For those with kids in Primary school, is there more being taught about recycling to the younger kids these days? I think this is where it has to be instilled (if it isn't happening at home).

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Is it what used to be called civics?

They started doing PSE (Personal and Social Education) when I was in High School, but it was always just an excuse to do your homework for another lesson, or catch up on the gossip, in my classes. It was always taught by your form tutor, so I guess it depended on how interested your teacher was in it!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My younger daughters school put recyclingbins by the entrance - I'm not even sure if they are still there. I am not sure it was an appropriate place - unless they empty it regularly. (There's terrible access there as it is - not a place to encourage more traffic) I shall ask daughter tonight - she has never mentioned it and I suspect not. (Huge fan of schools as you can probably tell!)

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our school is quite good on that sort of thing. The little ones have free fruit (government thing) and they always put the waste in the compost - theres a special bin in the class room.

We've got recycling bins and we certainly use ours but not everyone does judging by what I see on a Friday morning.

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruby wrote:
My younger daughters school put recyclingbins by the entrance - I'm not even sure if they are still there. I am not sure it was an appropriate place - unless they empty it regularly. (There's terrible access there as it is - not a place to encourage more traffic) I shall ask daughter tonight - she has never mentioned it and I suspect not. (Huge fan of schools as you can probably tell!)

They probably got recycled ...

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thos wrote:
They probably got recycled ...

My daughter's school is an eco-school I used to be on the govenors there when my son was still there, and was the govenor with responsibility for the eco-school project. It was incredibly frustrating - trying to get the new builds as eco friendly as possible was like banging your head against a brick wall (sorry - no pun intended )

And when they came round to renew our status, the inspectors were only interested in how much litter there might or might not be, not the recycling facilities we'd put in everywhere, or the wind powered lighting, or all the great work the kids had done in science on energy saving initiatives.

I was a very very cross little governor, and the inspector twerp got a full on blast from my full five foot!!!!!! Goodness knows how we got through the inspection, he was probably too scared to fail us

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 06 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent, Penny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive