links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Worming Chickens
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 2:30 pm    Post subject: Worming Chickens Reply with quote

My first 'real' post! Gasp!
Could someone tell me how often I need to worm my chickens, what with and where I get it from?
Thanks!
Sarah

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Worming Chickens Reply with quote

percypony wrote:
My first 'real' post! Gasp!

Congratulations, I hope there are plenty more and I wish I could help you...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one replies sooner I'll post some details tonight (I don't have the wormer handy). Do your hens free range and eat slugs and snails? Do they also live in a fixed place or move about?

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Flubenvet and do it between 6 months and 1 year, aiming to avoid when they are laying, as you can't use the eggs while they are following the course (one week).

Agricultural stores will often have it in stock, or wherever you get your feed from should be able to order it for you if they don't carry it. Think it's about £10 for a box that will be far, far too big but is the smallest they do. The box will tell you quantities for huge amounts of food which you'll have to work out according to how much yours eat in a week. You mix it in to their food.

percypony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tahir, I have already 'made use' of this fab board already far too much today!
Thanks Bugs, I think that just about covers it! I have been waiting to ask my vet on our next appointment but thankfully haven't needed to go for a while! Thank God!
As for giving it to them at the time they don't lay, well, that could be difficult as I never know who lays what! We have 10 chickens and have on average 3 eggs a day. Some are different colous so I can narow it down a bit so I suppose I would have to throw away all eggs for a week while worming. No hard ship really.
Thanks Treacodactyl for the offer but I think Bugs had covered it unless you can think of anything else?
Sarah x

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs is my OH. There are a few other details that would be useful to put up, but I'll need the pot for reference. I think 6 months is the max time between wormings.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll need doing again soon then Nearly spring...

Percypony (I'm going to call you that because it's such a good name and I don't want to get you mixed up with the other Sarah I'm about to refer to), I've always wondered if it would be possible to use the eggs from the worming period for non-food things. The only one that springs to mind is conditioning the hair, and I'm not sure I fancy worming chemicals in my hair...

I wondered if Sarah D has anything to say about this one, as she's a small scale person too, but with much wider experience? And do you throw them all away or have you thought of anything else to do with them?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flubenvet treatment comes in a 240g tub and is a white powder. It says 120g is suitable for 100kg of feed for chickens and geese and should be fed for 7 days. Always check the label before using.

With only a few hens we have that's only a few grams so if you know any other poultry keepers it may be worth buying a joint supply. If you need an more details PM either bugs or I as there's some more details in Country Smallholding on quantities.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it where you get your feed from. It will be cheaper than the vet.

deanowales

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use panacur 10%

percypony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my horse wormers from the internet (a site in Australia actually) so I will check to see if they do this one too. A hell of a lot cheaper than buying them in this county even taking the postage into account! Will report back!

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post the internet address of the Australian company?

Tristan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flubenvet is about £18 or so for 240g by mail order from The Domestic Fowl Trust, Honeybourne, Worcestershire
www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk

Dose rate is 120g/100kg feed for chickens or 3g in 2.5kg pellets for our three birds. Mixes easily into crumb, pellets need to be dampened with a fine spray first otherwise the powder ends up in the bottom of the feeder, not the chicken.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£18 , it was much cheaper from our feed supplier.

Would importing treatments from Australia be acceptable by Defra? Even if it's the same stuff I'm not sure where you would stand.

percypony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked with the Aussie site and they don't do chicken stuff but I get all my horse and dog stuff from them.
https://www.equine-mega-store.com/default.ehtml
Hadn't thought about DEFRA. Don't think it matter with horses stuff though does it?
Ordered from these guys in the end: https://www.farmpharmacy.co.uk/?p=home
About £13 something with £2 next day delivery. Might not be as cheap as some but as it is delivered to my door it savesme a lot of time and deisel getting it anyway.
I have got a dose of 1 teaspoon per 3kg of feed does this sound about right? And I will remember to damp it down slightly thanks Tristan! I would not have thought of that!
Now for another question. I presume this is OK for ducks too? If so how on earth do I feed it to them as they have floating food most of the time with a handful of layers pellets and corns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive