Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Worming Chickens
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to contact the makers for the quantities for ducks. There are amounts for game birds, chickens & geese, and Turkeys. All fed decreasing amounts.

I assume Defra would only be involved if you were selling items for food. But I know little in this area.

percypony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. If it doesn't say on the bottle when it arrives I'll phone them and ask.

Tristan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 05 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty close, Those plastic measures that come with cough mixture are ideal to measure out 5ml doses.
No idea about the ducks, sorry,

Joey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 05 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected on this one, but I don't think there are any products licenced as wormers or anti coccidials for ducks.
That does not say that ducks do not suffer from parasites but I think it is less of a problem than in other birds.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 05 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you may be right, although there are still unlicenced products you can get, and it is easier, if your vet is more open minded to it, otherwise a poultry vet can be contacted and purchased from by mail.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 05 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
I stand corrected on this one, but I don't think there are any products licenced as wormers or anti coccidials for ducks.
That does not say that ducks do not suffer from parasites but I think it is less of a problem than in other birds.

I was doing a bit of a search last night and there are a few organisations that said ducks need working more frequently as they can pick up more. I should say I know nothing about ducks, it's only what I found searching on Flubenvet and Ducks.

I didn't note any links as there were no proper details. If nothing can be found I'd suggest writing to Victoria Roberts via Country Smallholding, unless anyone knows more about ducks?

Sarah D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 05 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worm my ducks when I worm my chickens, twice a year using Flubenvet, bought from Mole Valley Farmers, over the counter, though I had to sign for it, that it was for use on my premises only.
As far as I am aware, I have never had any worm problems with chickens or ducks.

percypony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 05 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D, if you don't mind me asking what are you ducks currently fed?

Mine are on a complete floating biscuit thing from a pet shop but it doesn't say what it actually is. I put it in a bowl with water. They have however, suddently gone off this and I am also thinking what a nightmare it is going to be worming them too!

I should add they also get a small bowl of dry layers pellet and mixed corn (a habit from the days they were in with the chickens I think!) and pasta, rice, bread leftovers a couple of times a week. Oh and a lettuce as a treat at the weekend! LOL!

I did a similar search too Treacodactyl and came up with advice that ducks could use Flubenvet too. As I said I'll call the manufacturers if in doubt.

Sarah

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 05 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducks will be best fed on a balanced ration like layers pellets. The wormer can be mixed in this. Make sure that wild birds do not eat it all though, otherwise your birds won't get the benifit.

percypony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 05 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison,
Is this the dry stuff that is for chickens or is there a special duck version?
At the moment they get some pellets (chicken ones) but are really not that fussed by them and only eat a handful between the two of them.
Also, do you feed everything dry?
Thanks!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 05 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have all feed dry, and yes it is poultry layers pellets.

In the cold depths of winter I cook up my veg pealings and mix the hot mixture, water and all with layers pellets and a bit of mixed corn. They love it, but it isn't a daily treat, as it usually smells yuch when cooking it up, especially if there is a lot of cabbage there.

percypony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds vile alison! I think I might just up their dry rations and cut down the floating stuff and see what happens then.
Thanks!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds vile and smells vile, but they can't get enough of it.

Marigold123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I would much rather not worm my hens until it becomes necessary. We only have the three birds, so we should be able to keep a keen eye on their condition and hopefully take prompt action should it become necessary.

Though I realise it is possible to pick up infestations from wild birds, (not that any ever dare to enter our garden any more!), the ground has never, to my knowledge, been used for livestock before, which should also work in our favour.

I am still looking into it, but I gather there are remedies available that are more in keeping with a semi-organic approach to poultry keeping, which you can use to combat worm infestation when and if it occurs. I know I read something about this last year, but I can't remember anything apart from it being something harmless and quite easily obtainable that you put in their water for a few days.

There's a possibility that I'm totally talking out of my arse here, but I'll let people know if I can remember or rediscover what it is.

Marigold123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hens love a vile concoction that we call chicken cake.

Virtually the only time I peel potatoes is when I am going to roast them, so this is a once a week or less often treat for the hens. I cook the peels, usually in the microwave, as it's more convenient, then drain off the water and chop them up a bit in the bowl. Then I add any spare bits and pieces have lying around that the hens can eat. This has included include leftover mashed potato, crumbs off the breadboard, some rather hard unpleasant meusli that I bought and which nobody wanted to finish up, slightly out of date flour from the kitchen cupboard, rice crispie dust from the bottom of the bag, etc.

I also add washed, finely crushed eggshells for a bit of extra calcium, and mix it all up. It usually gets served straight away, warm, and the girls go into a feeding frenzy over it. It is sticky rather than mushy, and tends to make them wipe their beaks a lot.

(I would like to reassure people that, contrary to how it may sound, I don't treat my chickens like a dustbin! I would never give them anything that has gone off or is a bit dodgy. )

I prefer not to give them veg peelings, apart from potatoes, as I don't feel there is enough food value in them to support the work I am expecting them to do.

We also throw them apple cores and raw greens, which they devour enthusiastically, and since they have eaten all the grass, I have taken to bringing them home handfuls of wild greens, such as chickweed, goosegrass and dandelions, that I have picked from suitably car and dog-free places on the journey home from my daughter's school in the morning.

This is all in addition to their usual pellets, of course.

Last edited by Marigold123 on Tue Feb 08, 05 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive