About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone know anything about willow!?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 05 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always push them in to an unused corner of damp ground as they root quicker in soil than pots, need plenty of water, and pots aren't always the bes things for holding water. It's worth mulching, use the oldest part of the heap you have (v. envious), cut a 4" piece of plastic bottle to fit round the stem to keep the manure off, and put down at least three inches of muck before the soil dries out.

percypony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tristan. I will get muck shovelling at the weekend and keep it away from the stems.
I have been advertising the muck heap and have had quite a good response so far but it is a never ending supply so anyone is welcome to come and get some if they live near enough! (just outside of Portsmouth)

percypony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 05 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update if anyone is interested.
I did cut some of the existing willow back as a lot more had grown than I thought. I then stuck these cuttings in the ground a bit randomly last weekend as I thought it worth a try. Well, I noticed this weekend they are shooting already!
I have given the 'adult' willows a treat of the scrapings out from the duck run (lovely sloppy rotted, woodchip, mud and duck poo!!!) so am hoping for a bumper crop of willow this year!
Thanks for your advice everyone!

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 05 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing, Percypony, My course instructor last week said that Willow hate competition either with other willow, or even with grass. This may have already been said. Keep the soil bare around the stems for at least the first six months to avoid this problem.

percypony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 05 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops, might have been part of the problem then! They are planted within short grass! Too late now I think as they are over and year old and just starting to sprout again but worth bearing in mind for any cuttings I take! Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive