Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Once a month cooking..
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
I love cooking, it's a source of relaxation for me.

I'm in the opposite camp, it's daily cooking for me.

Same here, maybe it's a woman thing?

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, it's all down to our creative streak.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would generally agreed with you Jonnyboy, but there are times...

My problem is that I have to cook twice of an evening. The boys have supper at 5pm ish ( youngest 5) and then I cook again when FT gets home around 7pm. Sometimes I don't want to cook twice!! Or I'd like to do something that is fresh for the boys with enough leftover that I can just re-heat for us later. I do try and do this, eg boys will have mince and mash and I'll make it up in to a shepards pie for us later but I could do with more ideas like that. There is also the issue that FT and I like spicy things like curries and the boys don't - yet!!!

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right...

Deedee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do still tend to cook everyday as I love cakes etc so if I'm not turning out homemade bread its cakes and biccies! I tend to use the oamc more for variety,speed and backup rather than like some only cooking once a month Also helps to cut fuel bills when you batch bake so thats another plus.My boys are 'reasonable' little cooks but I think I need to get someone to describe what an oven looks like to OH!! Julie I used to have the same probs with the different dinner times,right pain doing 2 different sittings

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jonnyboy and Tahir - I enjoy cooking and use it as winding down, but there are days when I can't be bothered or himself has eated whatever it was I was planning for dinner for lunch, so I raid the freezer. I batch bake (but only for me, so it lasts months!) and when I cook things like chilli or spag bol (that I make in vats) then I freeze it. I also always make double of things that I consider a lot of bother, but worth the effort - like meatballs, fish cakes or souffles. I make enormous vats of soup as well, and freeze for lunches. I like things that turn into something else too - spag bol into lasagne and stew into pie. Cooking twice would seriously get on my nerves, as I don't consider myself off duty until after dinner. I often prepare veggies and things early so I feel that dinner is organised and I can chill out for a bit. I'd be in the reheating camp! In the days before I discovered food, I'd have sent the boys for school dinners so they could just have toast or sarnies for tea, but I wouldn't do it now - we'll have to start a new thread of reheatable foods!

Julie, have you tried cooking very (very) mild chilli and the like for the boys and then spicing it up when tim gets home - could work to your advantage having two sittings then!

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 05 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness my eldest is starting to get a slightly more adventurous palate and I do make a mince mix then re-heat with chilllis for us later. i make soup in bulk and mince mixtures too ( the farm shop's mince is reduced in price if you buy in bulk) The slow cooker gets used frequently, which is often our supper taken care of. I also do enough spud peeling for both meals at once to help, if that's what we're having. (its boring cooking the same meal twice though isn't it?)

(The village school doesn't do school dinners - its too small!! )

I have some ideas but always welcome new ones. Meatball recipe would be great!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive