Latest Articles
I've got Bees :D
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 06 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok

Here they are.

The nuc box on site, having been left over night.

Nuc box moved back and the new hive set in position

Bees in the entrance

Open the nuc

Bees on the frame

Checking the wax frame

Frames in the new hive

Feeder on the top, in a super, and balanced on a stone.

Hive ready to leave, all set up.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 06 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating - why is it so high up on blocks? I bet you could just sit and watch them work all day.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 06 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look fascinating - do you have all the outfit and everything Ali?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 06 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
I'd love to get someone to keep their bees in our orchard. I think it would be a good spot. We have quite selection of food sources.
We have loads of bluebells,gorse,sycamores, blackberry brambles and we have heather about half a mile away .
I'd just hope that having honey bees around would improve the miserly cropping of my fruit trees.
They'd have to be nice bees though

You could always get some of those red mason bee nests, they're supposed to be very good pollinators and you've got to really upset them before they try to sting you.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 06 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only on blocks to stop me getting a bad back! They save me bending down.

We are recommended a certain height, and I found that one comfortable to work with at the apiary.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 06 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Only on blocks to stop me getting a bad back! They save me bending down.

We are recommended a certain height, and I found that one comfortable to work with at the apiary.

Sounds like common sense - guess I should have though thought of that, but thought there would be some fascinating bee reason!

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 06 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely! It all looks terribly professional. Good idea about the blocks to get the hives up to a sensible level, ours were balanced on all sorts of silly things until I managed to get them onto metal hive stands this year. Its so nice to see tidy frames, we have one hive that has long since rotted away inside but teh bees will not move out, and just stick it back together with wild comb whenever we evict them. Contrary madams.
I love bees, can't imagine life without them

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 06 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still something l'd like to do, but I admit your tale of a bad reaction to a sting has worried me, Sally. How often do you get stung and Alison did you have any fears about that?

I don't actually think I've ever been stung by a bee in my life, wasps yes, but not bees as far as I know.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 06 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been stung since, and its been at least a year or so. I think I only had problems because it was several simultaneous face stings, and though it was a bit scary at the time, the ambulance was so clued up that as soon as they were there I really wasnt in any danger. I think as long as you make sure you have someone with you, have a really good bee suit (I didnt at that time, it was home made and very gappy) and phone access and maybe ask the doctor for an epipen (the adenaline injection) just in case, then you really don't need to worry. Even if you get stung badly, you wouldnt need the epipen unless you had a really funny turn or had trouble breathing, and its common for beekeepers to keep one in case a visitor gets stung badly as much for their own peace of mind.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 06 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very jealous and very interested iin all of this - my campaign to keep bees continues. (I keep bringing home pots of local honey and they get eaten almost straight away)

I've never been stung either but my daughter gets stung at least once a year and the first one swelled up horribly - like instantly and straight to hospital - fortunately it was her arm. Each time since the swelling has been a little less dramatic and we now don't carry a supply of antihistamine all the time. But any school trips etc - are warned to get her straight to hospital if she is stung anwhere near her airway - 'cos this could be very serious. She hasn't tested out how severe her reaction will be this year but there's plenty of time yet

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 06 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epipen thing is a good idea, can I get those at the chemist, or do I need a prescription.

I have been stung a couple of times, but my tutor says we don't even need to wear gloves until we are stung 3 time in one handling session.

I was stung on my legs both times. (through the trousers!)

When I went in today I have 7 frames being drawn out well and polished up.

I think there is pollen in some of the cells, but was unable to see eggs.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how many hives would I get in a 1 acre orchard with 65 fruit and nut trees and about 50 soft friut bushes?

The amount of hives you can keep in one area is dependant on the amount of food (nectar & polen) available. Bees will range comfortably up to 2 miles from the hive. If you have to many hives in one area you wont get more honey just more work. Sensibly the maximum number of hives on one site would be 15 to 20. The big commercial guys will put 50 or a 100 hives on a crop (oil seed rape/ heather etc) but move them on as soon as the flow has finished.
If you are just starting I recomend two hives. That way if you have a disaster in one you can always requeen or split from the other hive.
Good luck. They are a most fascinating subject. You are truly working with a wild animal completely undomesticated, so working with nature at its grass roots.
Steve.

mrutty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Fiddlesticks wrote:
How often do you get stung

Every damn time I go near a bee toilet.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been stung, by my bees, although I have had a couple at the apairy

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 06 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
The epipen thing is a good idea, can I get those at the chemist, or do I need a prescription.

I have been stung a couple of times, but my tutor says we don't even need to wear gloves until we are stung 3 time in one handling session..

Ask the Doctor for a prescription, hopefully you will never need to use it , but it could make a big difference if there was a genuine emergency.

The difficult thing is that everyone has different tolerances tos tings, so that 3 sting thing may be true for most people, but there is always the chance that someone else ony need get stung a couple of times weeks apart for their system to develop a sensitivity.

I reckon though that the best precaution is common sense, always have someone else these and know where the phone is!Just in case.

I must get over and look at mine, they probably need a last super with all this weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive