Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Remote, wireless internet
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Now the computers are in their places it isn't working anyway. Too far from each other me thinks.

If I have to get them joined up how do I go about it.

We want to be cheapskates and have one internet broadband account, and both be able to get online.

Cheap ADSL router and cable it is the answer IMHO.

Try raising the basestation to ceiling level to increase the range. Can you change the power settings or swap antenias?

mrutty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops that was me

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a Cisco 760? be any good? I think I've got a spare one.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Would a Cisco 760? be any good? I think I've got a spare one.

I don't know what that is.

I think cabeling is the way to go. We have really thick walls here, and I was dubious, the signal would get through, but she wanted to try that way first.

Where does anyone get their bits and pieces like cable and ends from.

I am thinking of going in this order.

pc - router - short cable - box on wall - cable round the house - box on wall - short cable - other pc.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work

(our outside walls are about 20" thick - too thick proberbly?)

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:

pc - router - short cable - box on wall - cable round the house - box on wall - short cable - other pc.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work

Err, **today's** ethernet ("10 or 100 Base T") is a cabled as a "star" - there's a central (powered) box (a "hub") and each pc, networked printer, router, whatever, has its own cable to the hub.

It could be a single loose cable. A "flylead".
Big offices are wired with cables linking pairs of sockets. One of each pair would be in the "wiring closet", where a flylead would link it to a "port" on the hub. Another flylead would link the paired socket to a pc. Such a system is called "structured cabling", and the fixed cabling can be used equally well for phone extensions.
You could put a hub by each machine, but that's a pricey way, and you shouldn't 'cascade' more than 3 hubs like this.
You can get routers with an integral ethernet hub.
Unless you intend passing loads of data between the pc's you don't need 100 base T hub(s). (They carry data faster - and of course you'd need to ensure you have 100 on each pc) 10 and 100 can talk to one another, at 10 of course.
10 base T is faster than ADSL.
The cable is identical for 10 and 100...

A Gotcha: the cable for wiring hub to hub is wired differently from the ordinary hub to pc cable! So if you are planning multiple hubs, one useful thing is an "uplink" port on the hub, which uses a standard cable to go hub to hub. This might be presented as one 'port' on the hub having either two (alternative) sockets, or a changeover switch.

BTW **yesterday's** ethernet was cabled as a chain, using coaxial cable. Don't go there.

If you are looking for an alternative, you might investigate "powerline" networking where the electricity mains cables carry the network signal - like some baby alarms. I've never *had* to investigate it properly!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there much cost extra these days to a 100mbs switch, compared to a 10mbs hub?

I use a linksys 4 port router, and an 8 port switch providing 10 ports in total, the wires go through the loft, round the house, and one even down the garden

jema

mrutty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a netgear ADSL router, comes with four ports. Cable to each PC. Leave the printer on one PC and use Windows networking.

Wait until tomorrow and I'll put up a network diagram, parts and price list on two3five. I'm currently do a few of these fits for people. A MasonMaster is about 10" long and a 13mm one gives enough room to get a made cable through it so no need for making your own. I would only run a max of 25mtrs of cable between the two. You could extend further, but I'd not be happy. You could run 25 mtrs and then add your wireless kit fo the last bit.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a darling, thank you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive