Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chanterelles!

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 06 11:36 pm    Post subject: Chanterelles! Reply with quote

I cycled from Fort William to Inverness at the weekend via the Great Glen Way. Part of it passed through some old woodland beside Loch Lochy. We'd stopped for biscuits or something and I'd been noticing lots of fungus around when I saw something bright yellow, about 20 yards away. Went for a look and lo and behold, my first chanterelles - having found false ones before helped the identification. Cooked them in a creamy pasta effort that night in Loch Ness youth hostel and WOW - they were delicious, delicate with a subtle hint of apricot. Really. Brought a lunchbox back and they were just as good. Found some ceps, angel wings and hedgehog shrooms too.

From what I can gather, chanterelles like it cold and damp which explains why the Midlands have none. I thoroughly recommend a trip to the Highlands (by train of course - PM me for info / advice) before the frost gets them.

Mat

cab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 06 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads more up there than down in the midlands, but keep your eyes open. I do know a spot up near Wakefield where I've found them once or twice, I used to get some in Northumberland, and I'm told that there are plenty of them down in the South West.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 06 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

west yorkshire has them
umm i dont get out enough
very nice stuffed in duck

steve01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of chanterelles in horseford woods norwich norfolk growing on wet mossy banks never get very large though

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 06 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are here too apparently, a friend who forages around the woods here has found some..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive