links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
rights to collect dead wood
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 5:20 pm    Post subject: rights to collect dead wood Reply with quote

I know this is probably a very stupid / naive question but I honestly haven't got a clue.......
Can you legally collect dead wood for firewood from forests?

We went to view a place today which was in the heart Thetford forest, Norfolk which is owned by the foresty commision and I wondered if you would be able to do so. I've heard of commoners rights but am unsure as to whether these come with particular properties or apply to the public generally as "commoners".

Suzie

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t know if it's true or no but a friend told me theres a bylaw that allows collection as long as you can remove it manualy.
I would seek the permission of the landowner first regardlesss I think.

Suzie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tavascarow
Guess that's only just common sense and good manners to ask landowner as you suggest. It's a shame really that the actual place we looked at turned out to be a no-go - I'd have had wood to last me several lifetimes Mind you, it would have taken several lifetimes too to "renovate" (estate agent's term) the building
Suzie

dougal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rights to collect dead wood Reply with quote

Suzie wrote:
I know this is probably a very stupid / naive question but I honestly haven't got a clue.......
Can you legally collect dead wood for firewood from forests?

We went to view a place today which was in the heart Thetford forest, Norfolk which is owned by the foresty commision and I wondered if you would be able to do so. I've heard of commoners rights but am unsure as to whether these come with particular properties or apply to the public generally as "commoners".

Suzie

The question, in this specific case, really comes down to whether or not the land you were considering purchasing had any rights over the adjoining or nearby forest. Such rights would go with the land (and house) you were looking at.
As to a right to gather firewood, unlikely IMHO. Those trees have owners!
People are generally realistic however
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4986236.stm

Gervase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In common land you often have the right to gather wood 'by hook or by crook'; in other words to take what can be pulled down without cutting or sawing. You'll need to check that with the commoners, though.
On other lands you'll generally find the 'wooding rights' belong to someone.

gregreeve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 06 6:48 pm    Post subject: Brushwood license Reply with quote

The forrestry commission does (or used to do) a brushwood license. Was only £15 or so and allowed you to take any pre-falled wood of no more than 2inches diameter.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 06 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i could have a stove for the winter .
polite or invisable .
or get it dropped off so as you dont disturb the shoot

Suzie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 06 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregreeve wrote
Quote:
The forrestry commission does (or used to do) a brushwood license. Was only £15 or so and allowed you to take any pre-falled wood of no more than 2inches diameter

That would certainly be worthwhile taking out - I think Thetford forest covers 22000 acres or so

Just need to find a place now with a couple of acres, habitable, near woodland for under £250 000
Suzie

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 06 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brushwood license Reply with quote

gregreeve wrote:
The forrestry commission does (or used to do) a brushwood license. Was only £15 or so and allowed you to take any pre-falled wood of no more than 2inches diameter.

I phoned them up. Head office England, Cambridge.
They said, ask your local office... here's the number.

Phoned them, they said "Oh a 'Firewood Permit'... I don't think we do them any more. Which bit of woodland were you specifically interested in and I'll give you the forester's mobile?"

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 06 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good

jamsam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 06 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering about this..i saw a beautiful peice of oak in a woodland park, i think the terr had disease and was felled, but the peices were stacked up ready to be moved..i nearly 'wandered off' with it!!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 06 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large amount of wood is left on purpose these days for the multitude of animals that live and feed in it. I would certainly check with the owner first.

One thing I've wondered is your right to collect wood from the side of the road, you often find quite large branches after a storm and it seems like you are doing the council a favour by collecting it.

MarkS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 06 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My in-laws live in the ashdown forest and they get 'foresters rights' they pay something like £20/year and are allowed to cut down and remove trees which have been marked by the foresters.

Theres some dispute at the moment though because they are in one part of a converted mansion and there is debate about whether the rights apply to all the occupants or if there is one right for the entire estate.

skedone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 06 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say just ask as i did and am glad i did now one of my local woods has a old wood mill in it and when the fell trees that pile the wood up in planks or fire blocks and there free to anyone i found out after asking now my mates fireplace has wood all the time its one a 2min walk from his front door

cab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 06 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I take the opportunity to thank you guys for this topic? I knew none of this, its been most informative.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive