links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone in Austraila?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 06 8:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone in Austraila? Reply with quote

We are thinking of moving abroad, hubby is all for it and is going next year for 6 months to do some reasearch I will be following later for 6 weeks. Im not at all sure about moving so far away.

Has anyone moved from the Uk to Aus?

Pea

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 06 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure we have a couple at least on here from Australia, DumpsterDiva is one. I am pretty certain she didn't move there but she certainly comes form Auss.

aussie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocs, sharks, melanoma...ask away

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the drought?

mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We moved here to New Zealand just over a year ago from the UK... not Oz, but similar immigation processes so if I can help at all just ask!

Oz is having a bad time with drought at the moment, as I'm sure you know

Steph

aussie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been raining here, halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, for the last four days- things are lush, and green. The Media hype over the present drought, which by no means affects all the country and is no different to previous dry spells, appears to be driven by the Global Warming lobby. A good reason not to believe anything the Packer or Murdoch press stables tell you.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering as the reports we get have been pretty hysterical ones.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have close friends, some family and a former work colleague in Oz and NZ. My cousin farmed in NZ, and now in Oz. They all love it. I've been out to visit, and enjoyed it, but not enough to move there myself.

Land and country property seemed to be cheaper than here.

Go for exploration purposes, don't feel it's something irrevocable, see what you think and how you like it, and enjoy the experience. You also have each other for company and to bounce ideas off.

mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent advice, and I'd also add that the whole thing seems to be much less stressful if you just think of it as somewhere to live 'for now' rather than 'forever'. (at least that's what works for us!).

Except for the horrendous journey at the begining (24hrs with a 18month old and a 4 year old) and the astonishing beauty it's no different really from when I moved to Brighton from London! ha ha

mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I was wondering as the reports we get have been pretty hysterical ones.

Same here - there have been pleas for help from sheep farmers!

aussie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 07 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many factors to consider, I think, in considering a move to Australia. Perhaps the most important is choosing an area that will fit your lifestyle and offer some employment chances. Inland Oz is hot, dry, expensive due to freight charges on everything from fresh produce to fuel, and in some cases dangerous. This article, from todays Sydney Morming Herald https://www.smh.com.au/news/national/town-troubles-spelt-in-black-and-white/2007/01/05/1167777279245.html illustrates the point. Social disorder is not a small, isolated problem by any means. The Guiness Book Of Records ranks Palm Island, off the coast of Queensland as the most violent place on Earth outside a War Zone...but all major capital cities have a raft of racial tensions and high rates of property crime.
The website of the newspaper mentioned above is a good sourcew of information on Aussie domestic politics and major news stories. www.smh.com.au

Pea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubby is looking at Gippsland in Victoria. We have friends in Melbourne and I have relatives there too.
Ardlethan in NSW last Feb (2006 ) had not had rain for 4 years. It was surprisingly green though I thought.

mosschops

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of emigration forums too, where you can get advice (but also get lots of negative ranting from people who hate it, so be prepared!).

https://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54 is an aussie one.

Pea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mosschops. We are part of that forum but like you say there is a lot of negitive stories on there. I suppose Im trying to find someone who has a similar lifestyle to the one we have here but, in Aus.

Last edited by Pea on Mon Jan 08, 07 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

aussie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 07 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pea wrote:
Hubby is looking at Gippsland in Victoria. We have friends in Melbourne and I have relatives there too.
Ardlethan in NSW last Feb (2006 ) had not had rain for 4 years. It was surprisingly green though I thought.

Both great areas, Pea, and with a climate which is not extreme, by any means. As you go North, into NSW, the climate changes to Sub-Tropical, which has a charm all it own, and is the site of choice for many downsizers, and Tropical starts around Bowen in Qld.
There are some really remarkable areas north of Sydney, and Sydney it'self is very beautiful. Here a link to some examples of areas north of Sydney...max temps around 30 degrees C, with a very rare light frost maybe once each winter....www.escapenorth.com.au and hows this for a beach?https://www.escapenorth.com.au/media/macleay/media_upload/pages/macleay8.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive