Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
pancake day
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:18 pm    Post subject: pancake day Reply with quote

the boys have asked for golden syrup or lemon and sugar.

I was thinking of doing something with spinach and prawns in a creamy sauce ( and if you're reading this FT a quick reminder about getting some creme fraiche and mozzarella, on the way home, TA!!) in ours.

What about you?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder, I may try and do something savoury, not sure I have a packet of pancake mix though

jema

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not sure I have a packet of pancake mix though

Not even in jest, Jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asparagus is nice in pancakes.

sugarplumhalle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana's are good in pancakes...

I sometimes put some paprika into the batter mix and serve with some fried sweet potato, bell pepper and red onion. Bit like a Fajita but in pancake form! yum yum yum

I wonder if lasagne would work but using savory pancakes instead of the pasta sheets?

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think Delia did a version of canneloni with pancakes, so don't see why not.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight lemon and sugar man myself but I have seen a recipe for filling them with ricotta and spinach.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Straight lemon and sugar man myself but I have seen a recipe for filling them with ricotta and spinach.

now you tell me - so do I change my message to himself or stick to the creme fraiche, spinach and prawns?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggie feast - Spinach and ricotta
Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil, 1 small onion chopped, 1 crushed garlic clove, 350g (12 oz) young spinach leaves, 250g tub ricotta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg, 50g (1 3/4 oz) freshly grated parmesan.

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200 deg C.
2) Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 2/3 mins.
3) Add the spinach, cook and cover for 3-4 mins or until the leaves have wilted.
4) Transfer to a sieve and squeeze out excess liquid.
5) Return to the pan, beat in ricotta, nutmeg, half the parmesan and plenty of salt and pepper.
6) Lay pancakes out and spoon on filling, in a line down the centre. Roll up and place in shallow ovenproof dish.
7) Sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and crisp.

sugarplumhalle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
think Delia did a version of canneloni with pancakes, so don't see why not.

Yes! I saw that too! mm pancakes... getting hungry now and still have three hours of work left!

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the point of Shrove Tuesday was to use up things you already had in your cupboards before you gave them up for 40 days.

As such, I shall be alternating between jam, lemon and sugar, and chocolate spread.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is it? I like lemon and sugar best myself, although nutella (or peanut butter and chocolate) is always nice.

Himself refuses to eat them (although he'll generally eat anything if I hide it under cheese, so I might get away with cheese and tomato) and has never forgiven me for telling him that it's the same stuff as yorkshire pud. We used to make double on Sundays and have pancakes for mondays tea when i was small.

leebu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we must truly be considered grown up now; tonight we ate pancakes and all but one of them were savoury!
My wife had a bit of a brain wave and decided to cook a chana puri dish only using pancakes instead of the puri. It worked very well indeed, only problem was we didn't have any fresh coriander so had to use seeds. Top effort never the less and I can thoroughly recommend it.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger - it was today. Pancakes for lunch tommorow then, with cheese and tomato. And lemon and sugar for pud!

Serve me right for not going to work (and still having january up on my calender. Why doesn't outlook remind me of important stuff like that?!)

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 05 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year we say we will have more pancakes, not just on pancake day. After all we do not believe in the religous context of it any way, so why confine ourselves to the one day?
I personally will go for sugar and lemon every time.
By the way, I spent most of the day at work pointing out that we do indeed have pancake mix left on the shelves. I then pointed them to the flour,milk and eggs.
I was greeted with either bemusement or hostility and a rollicking from the manager for "winding the customers up"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive