Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Meals for under a quid
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that we're going to run this in the summer.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, but we're looking at showing people how they can live healthily and cheaply the whole year through.

Mat S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettle soup!

Recipe at https://www.nettles.org.uk/nettles/activities/nettlesoup.asp but I think a "standard"* veg soup with a load of young nettles piled in at the end is better.

* read - whatever you've got around

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I'll start costing some stuff. Since I almost never buy all the ingredients for a meal from scratch I know what I spend/week, but not really/meal.

Me to, on consideration i think tonights meal is probably under 40p a head, but I am not sure.

Gertie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interestic subject. I must admit I have never costed our meals - like others know how much we pay a week for groceries, but couldn't tell you off the top of my head how much a meal would work out.

Obviously, the main reason for us taking on an allotment and getting some hens is so that we can reduce our food bills.

Right, count me in, I'll start costing out our meals - don't want you lot getting the better of us - Yorkshire folk are renowned for their thrift!!!!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My butcher sells a couple of lamb shanks for about £2.50, they could be stretched to four people (just) shin of beef can make a fine meal for around £1 a head.

You can either pick stock bones up free of for a few pence, my butcher charges 40p but often gives them free if you buy other stuff.

As pointed out by Twoscoops & tahir, offal is really cheap, devilled kidneys would be way under £1 IMHO and liver is cheap too. I fancy making a robust pate with some.

Mackeral is cheap, so are sardines, most oily fish can be picked up. Tinned sardines are particularly tasty if drain of oil and quickly grilled.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we counting a whole meal or just the main, or is it mostly one pot jobs anyway?

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Are we counting a whole meal or just the main, or is it mostly one pot jobs anyway?

Whatever, like I said above you could easily do a dhal and indian puddind for less than £1 a head.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a think too. Mine is complicated by having in effect 'free' eggs so that dictates my meals to some extent. The veggies from the allotment also have a bearing.

I think the bacon toad we're having tonight must be pretty good since I'm using bacon scraps. Its an even cheaper meal if you use veg instead of bacon or sausages.

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veg &/or pulse soups
Home made bread -> pizza!
Pastry (sweet/savoury)
Whitebait/sardines/pilchard/sprats/mackerel/herring as fish or fish paste
Charcuterie (Salami?, chicken liver paté...) (Would baked sausage with lentils/carrots&onion be over budget?)
Salads (Carrot, celeriac,...)
Spuds...
Rice -> risotto, pulao, etc
Eggs (Omelettes, fritters, pancakes, meringues)
Fruit (peach+honey+apricot jam baked on puff pastry, ...)
Summer... Iced tea?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we just have to do meals for a £1. or why not meals which you may not normally have, like rabbit, for example. Not caught yourself, but butcher bought.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do that too.

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 05 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you are going to want recipes standardised for 2 or 4 people - not expressed in single portion quantities...

cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 05 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Could make a shin of beef casserole for tha kind of budget??

Depends where you get your shin. I've had ethicaly produced shin for that ind of price, but it's not always easy to come by.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 05 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Do we just have to do meals for a £1. or why not meals which you may not normally have, like rabbit, for example. Not caught yourself, but butcher bought.

Rabbits cost £2:10 at our butchers, and you can certainly serve three people from a rabbit. A rabbit stew can easily be done for less than a quid a head. If you get the liver and heart, and if it's a nice big liver, you can cobble together a liver salad as a starter too.

Of course, THREE courses for a quid starts to become challenging...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive