Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Websites??
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
tahir wrote:
Anyone here fancy doing Chris a site?

I'll have a crack if you like. And if you like it, you can pay me in pig .

That sounds good.

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a user of websites, I'd say just be sure to keep it updated. It doesn't look good if things are obviously out-of-date or no longer relevant.

NeathChris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be able to do it like the one on the link? To me that looks good, clear and precise tells you all yoe need to know. Looks professional too whilst still lookingrurally type, know what i mean?

chez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:
As a user of websites, I'd say just be sure to keep it updated. It doesn't look good if things are obviously out-of-date or no longer relevant.

Yeah - my bete noir with our own site is the 'Newsletter'. Haven't updated it since November - it's on my task-list for this week, but first I have to think of something newsworthy and then mentally check it's not libelling anyone .

Is genuine offer Chris, if you'd like me to have a look at it PM me and I'll send you my email - you can send me some photies and some text and I'll put something together.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeathChris wrote:
Would you be able to do it like the one on the link? To me that looks good, clear and precise tells you all yoe need to know. Looks professional too whilst still lookingrurally type, know what i mean?

Well, this is ours: mulberrygrove.co.uk
And these are two I've done for friends: thelavenderroom.co.uk and sunhillnurseries.co.uk

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to step on chezs toes - didn't notice she'd offered as well

I'm happy to do something for you but I'm equally happy to hand you over to Chez

Plus she is nearer to you as well which would make more sense

judith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeathChris wrote:
Then contact numbers to order over phone.

I don't know about other people, but that part just doesn't work for me. If you're going to have a site, you need to monitor it - every day. If I'm looking at a website, I want to be able to place my order there and then - online. I don't want to have then ring a number which may or may not be answered straightaway - that is guaranteed to send me looking for another supplier.

If you're going to have a web presence, then it really has to be part of your daily routine to check for orders, preferably a couple of times a day.

NeathChris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offers, i will chat with my brother later when he gets home, he's a sleeping partner in the business, will discuss with him and then let you know.

Judith, do you mean an online shopping facility?

judith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That really is essential IMO.

Stacey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeathChris wrote:
https://www.broadhampton-saddlebacks.com

something like this i fancy.

That one was done at https://www.mrsite.com/

Probably got loads of templates.

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Judith - infact if anything its essential hence me mentioning it to BTP with his site.

Having to ring an order through is so very yesterday and its pretty easy to add in a Shopping Basket capability - which merchant you use can depend on whether you would rather go with someone like Paypal to see how it pans out or go down the more expensive route - However in terms of site building they all provide an API for you to connect to when building the shopping basket.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
That would be really easy to do with Wordpress - I've got a couple of sites running Wordpress and it really is very powerful if you self host

Joomla is probably overkill at this moment in time for you

I'm happy to have a go setting something up for you

I'm still quite partial to Joomla even for simple sites, it is quite easy to add free components to it like virtueMart for an online shop, and it is totally menu driven, and it is not exactly hard to take a standard Joomla template and stick your own logo in its place and instantly have a reasonable looking site, and one that will grow with you.

NeathChris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mrsite looks amazing to me!! Im not exactly computer literate.
The domain hosying how much is that a year?
Also how much to list on google?

chez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
Don't want to step on chezs toes - didn't notice she'd offered as well

I'm happy to do something for you but I'm equally happy to hand you over to Chez

Plus she is nearer to you as well which would make more sense

No toe-stepping involved, happy to, but won't be offended if jocorless will do a better job. I haven't done a buying online facility yet, although am just about to do one for someone using paypal.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 07 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google search results come for free so long as you promote your site in the right ways.

sponsored google adwords links are paid by the click through I pay about 10p a click for mine, but that is on the cheap end of what you need to pay.

Hosting varies between £2-£10 a month for what you need, I'm thinking of offering hosting on a more organized basis than how I currently host a few downsizers for £5 a month. My view on very cheap hosting is that ultimately you get what you pay for, how much support can you really get in the long term if you are paying practically nothing? and how overloaded will the servers be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive