links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What to do when you go on holiday?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 3:49 pm    Post subject: What to do when you go on holiday? Reply with quote

Or anywhere else?

Since we got our chickens we've been away for the occasional night but always back early in the morning to let them out and feed and water; plus one 5 day holiday, when we moved them to OH's mum to be looked after. Wouldn't trust our neighbours to look after a brick let alone a chicken....and if friends/relatives had to make the journey to feed and water it would be a lot of trouble for them and worry for us.

Just wondered how other people with large amounts of livestock get buy. "Not going away" will be the main answer and I can see why, but what about when you do have to?

It's difficult to get people where we are now to understand how vulnerable chickens are to foxes, or how important fresh water is.

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FInd another friendly downsizer near you and do the same for them in return?

Probably not a sensible suggestion but I can't think of anything.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can, but it's heartless.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I can, but it's heartless.

Just what i was thinking

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but then they'd have no eggs for breakfast when they came home.

Be a rather large chicken curry for tea though.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy new ones. Don't think of it as a holiday, think of it as an opportunity for flock renewal.

Hannah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, I have seen this question asked on other sites too (and on one by me!). The main answer seems to be to ask a friendly neighbour to do it. I'm lucky because the farmer next door is quite willing to look after my pigs.

I did also post a notice in my local village store looking for people who had experience with farm animals if they wanted to "pet sit". I would have paid them £10 a day to check on animals twice but obviously what you offer is up to you. Possibly free eggs instead of payment? I got three replies so it did work, however I shall be using the farmer's free service, as I can then return the favour.

Hope you find an answer!

Hannah

Hannah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, I have seen this question asked on other sites too (and on one by me!). The main answer seems to be to ask a friendly neighbour to do it. I'm lucky because the farmer next door is quite willing to look after my pigs.

I did also post a notice in my local village store looking for people who had experience with farm animals if they wanted to "pet sit". I would have paid them £10 a day to check on animals twice but obviously what you offer is up to you. Possibly free eggs instead of payment? I got three replies so it did work, however I shall be using the farmer's free service, as I can then return the favour.

Hope you find an answer!

Hannah

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did get next door to do it ( and of course they get to keep the eggs). It worked out well, our neighbour is a frustrated chicken keeper anyways, his wife won't let him, and actually his 10 year old son let them out in the morning and enjoyed the responsibility. Result all round.

sofaloaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we go on holiday, we'll get my uncle to house-sit, but I know that this is not an option for many. It's a difficult one!

Wombat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a single mum friend and her daughter stay in house and look after everything, yes even sometimes my Port!!

Works well though, they enjoy being in the village and we pay them same as putting dogs in kennels per day. Doesn't sound very good that, but we do supply all food, goodies, etc.

Wombat

Gertie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we had a week in Spain and 10 days in France. I'm the sad one who hates going away, but once I'm away I'm ok. then worse bit is coming home - on the journey I am wondering if there is any bad news!!

This year we are doing some work on the house so have decided we won't be going abroad (HOORAH!).

We look after pets in our street - we looked after next door's old staffie for a couple of weeks - bless her - Lundy fell in love and although he complains about me buying additional food for the cats in the street, didn't quaver when I asked him why we were buying a big box of dog chews - despite not having a dog.

You see pet sitters advertised in glossy magazines, but bet they are a fortune, you have to make sure there is enough food for them, pay expenses, plus a daily figure. I would rather have friends and family do that and pay them extra.

Nanny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 7:57 pm    Post subject: holiday Reply with quote

you can ask your neighbour (i wouldn't ask mine)

you can get a friend or realtive to live in

you stay home

we have chosen the third option for the last 5 years but that was before we had accumlated all the extra creatures we now have

there are enough things at home to keep me going forever, therre is no travel trauma and you don't worry about the animals

maybe one day we will go to scotland again which is where i would like to live if i had my druthers but the house isn't finshed and i would not feel right spending the money on a holiday when we could do with so many other things

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
You can buy new ones. Don't think of it as a holiday, think of it as an opportunity for flock renewal.

That reminds me, when's your puppy read for the table.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Cab's posts about why eating carnivores is a bad idea. Besides he is neither free-range nor organic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive