Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What to do when you go on holiday?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 05 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he's been raised with care and no been fed rubbish, that's what counts. Pop him on a vegetarian diet for a month and I'll be round.

judith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 05 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this topic - very timely as we have just got back from 3 nights away!

We are lucky enough to have a large barn - if we go away overnight, I just lock the chickens in there with plenty of food and water. If you have a garage, you could probably do the same. There will be a bit of a mess to clean up when you get back - OK a lot of mess - but they would certainly be alright for a couple of nights.
As it was so cold this time, I did ask a neighbour to pop in and check that the water wasn't frozen, but it wouldn't have been necessary if the weather had been warmer.

As for other animals, my OH was very reluctant right from the start to be completely tied down to the place. So the compromise that we worked out was that I would only buy in stock for fattening up for the freezer - no breeding animals at all, apart from the hens. This means that we can't go away from late spring through to autumn, but then there is so much to do and it is so beautiful here during those months, that it doesn't really matter.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 05 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs did you get sorted?

My oldest nephew is coming of an age where he is old enough to travel.so if all else failed he could come and house sit for you. He is a great chap.loves animals and has looked after ours on occasions.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are lucky in having a guy 2 doors away who went to school with my OH and who isn't able to keep pets so he is only to happy to pop in and see to our 3 cats everyday we are away. It is a real releife when you find a long term solution to the problem and we dont mind making plans, or for thet matter just taking off for the weekend now.

Tristan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have friends and relations in Worcestershire we could get to cat sit, but none of them would drive to Hants . Thankfully our neighbours used to keep poultry and are happy to do the honours in return for the eggs (and a decent bottle of wine) so that isn't a problem. When you have five cats the cattery bill is nearly as much as a house sitter but I don't know if I would trust a complete stranger in my house.

Marigold123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (now-ex) partner does it for me. I've taken the kids away a few times for 3 - 6 nights since getting the chooks a year ago, and he's been very good about it. He is very conscientious about letting them out, and was getting up early specially to do it until I told him he didn't need to sweat it and they'd survive! He is very sweet about the hens, and makes a point of spending some time talking to them when he's on chicken duty. I think he makes more effort with them than he did with me! LOL

Mr O

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 05 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predictable as you said but the real answer is ... You don't go on holiday! Why would you want to anyway?

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey I've missed a few posts here, don't know how I managed that.

Thanks to everyone for their comments; particularly to Mrs N for her kind offer of a nephew! I'm not looking for a specific date at the moment, but in the next year or two we'll perhaps need to make a few househunting trips somewhere far away.

Problem is it is shocking how little knowledge some people have of animals; some of our friends and family just don't seem to realise how easy it would be for a fox, dog or even bird to do a fair bit of damage, or how important water is. In a bigger place, we'd go for something like Judith's solution. Fresh water and protection are the topmost important things, food could be arranged easily enough with a generous supply of layers pellets of course (in the case of chickens).

The Orange, I understand exactly what you mean! We're looking for a place/way of living where our life won't be a holiday, but where the best holidays will be a day here and there to do what we want at home. In fact we already like staying at home but with the neighbours we have it's not always as pleasant as you'd like. And of course when we do get where we want to be, there's always emergencies of some sort that might draw you away; that would mean even less time to plan so it would be good to consider this kind of thing in advance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive