links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Now I'm Frozen
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 2:30 pm    Post subject: Now I'm Frozen Reply with quote

I've just made a new front for the guinea pig hutch. I know it's not much for you experienced downsizers but for me that is a huge accomplishment

It even fits and opens and shuts exactly like it should and I got it right first time

And as I had to buy a whole pack of timber from B & Q this morning instead of just the one piece I wanted I also have enough to make my chicken run.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bud! that is a huge achievement, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. You were out there doing it while 99% of Britain was probably indoors watching the omnibus of Eastenders or some other S**Ty soap. Keep at it. It doesn't matter what you are doing as long as it gets you nearer your dream. (B&Q purchase forgiven)

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. I'm going to have to make a gerbil palace soon.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Now I'm Frozen Reply with quote

moggins wrote:
I've just made a new front for the guinea pig hutch. I know it's not much for you experienced downsizers but for me that is a huge accomplishment

It even fits and opens and shuts exactly like it should and I got it right first time

And as I had to buy a whole pack of timber from B & Q this morning instead of just the one piece I wanted I also have enough to make my chicken run.

It is all about achieving things yourself and managing anything you could not do before is an accomplishment.

moggins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all (moggins takes a bow), I do apologise for the B & Q bit but it was a bit of an emergency (risk of imminent escape of guinea pigs) and it was better B & Q than a brand new hutch from Petsmart

My local reclamation yard doesn't open on Sundays

moogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't appologise for going to B&Q - I practically live there I go so often . I kow lots of the staff now and have got my own special B&Q chap I seek out for help, and lots of help he is too!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogie wrote:
Don't appologise for going to B&Q - I practically live there I go so often . I kow lots of the staff now and have got my own special B&Q chap I seek out for help, and lots of help he is too!

Buy a lot from B&Q as well, our local diy store is a Homebase, which I find chronically expensive. Wickes seems to be the cheapest around here. I never really know where to buy diy kit, the "trade" places can sometimes be pretty expensive

moggins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found cladding baton, which was all 2" x 1" timber and 12 pieces each about 6 foot long and paid about £6.50 for the lot.

Some great uses have popped into my head since buying it, not the least being a way to dampproof my cellar enough to turn it into a reasonable storage area.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow my head in shame .......

I should never have knocked you for going to B&Q. We all would do the same!

In fact I buy "floorboards" nearly every week to patch up my chicken huts etc. and I get them from "Castorama" - the french equivalent of B&Q (and probably owned by them) I am told.

As I say - I bow my head!

Buy the raw materials from where you can get 'em and have loads of fun building what you need to build.

Best of luck with your constructions

Simon

moggins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, thank you, I was wondering where to get some decent timber to build my chicken house and you have given me a good idea there

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've already mentioned this in our The Hen House post - but we have a local timber merchant/boatyard and we get have bought 5" floorboarding at 78p a metre. This is what Lundy is making out hen house out of - we looked at shiplap (same price) but thought the floorboarding would be better.

Lundy has had a weekend of purchasing wood/starting the hen house/doing other jobs/etc. He is now in the back bedroom with his fenderstratawotsit giving Survivor 'Eye of the Tiger' some welly. Hmmmn, the neighbours will love us - good job they are out of the house at present - he does normally have his amp going through a headset, so as not to disturb anyone.

Right, my head has stopped banging. As I have mentioned previously our hen house has so far cost us £41.58 - the nearest we have seen to this ready made is about £218. So, a bit of a saving.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good indeed! It isn't the cost of course but the saviour of resources in making such a construction ..... well surely we are all "green" on this site?

moggins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about using the B & Q floorboarding as it is tongue and groove and I read that chickens don't like drafts, would this be a good idea?

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right - Lundy spends a lot of time doing things himself, not only saving money but it gives him great satisfaction. He is a perfectionist and takes great pride in doing things right - well, of course, as you know things don't always turn out right first time, do they?!!

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 05 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive