links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Energy efficient cooking
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 07 4:30 pm    Post subject: Energy efficient cooking Reply with quote

It'd be great to see an article on this, anyone fancy it?

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 07 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Energy efficient cooking Reply with quote

My camping stove has a metal corrugated flute that fits around the pots and hangs down slightly.

The idea is that it uses less fuel by capturing the heat that would normally escape out the side and funnels it up the side of the pot to warm it faster.

I was always surprised that it wasn't used on stove top pots at home. Not so much for the saving of fuel (which is an added bonus) but because of it also helps to provide a more even cooking temperature throughout the pot...

Sorry just an idle thought and in no way contributing to your question... but I suppose cooking using underground earth oven pits (such as native north american indians do) would be more energy efficent. Or if someone could somehow capture the excess energy in the same way that some hybrid cars capture the excess energy when braking.

ken69

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 07 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tahir.... Tefal type steamers and microwaves are way way cheaper than ovens/hobs., and the capital cost bought secondhand are miniscule.
A three tier system will provide 3 meals including desert for....well, do the maths...800W..30minutes at 9.32pence inc vat per kwh.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 07 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.73p (1.24p per meal) cheap cooking & healthy

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 07 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see the article reflecting the more efficient use of cooking facilities that most people have - best use of the oven when it is on, how to fill it up, baking/cooking in bulk, etc; rather than what is viewed (by some, anyway) as the more eccentric ways of cooking, eg haybox, solar cooking, clay oven, sub-soil cooking methods.

Just my thoughts.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 07 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:
It would be nice to see the article reflecting the more efficient use of cooking facilities that most people have - best use of the oven when it is on, how to fill it up, baking/cooking in bulk, etc; rather than what is viewed (by some, anyway) as the more eccentric ways of cooking, eg haybox, solar cooking, clay oven, sub-soil cooking methods.

Agree, anyone up for it?

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that unless you are cooking breads and pastries then preheating an oven is a waste of energy.

I also tend to switch the oven off slightly early and let the residual heat finish the cooking. The same when cooking on the stove using a heavy pot/pan that retains heat.

We were also given one of those new fangaled mini ovens that cook, grill, microwave, wash dishes etc. We now use that alot as it heats up almost instantly and as it is tiny doesn't consume as much energy - but big enough for plates etc.

toggle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressure cookers?

tigger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 07 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toggle wrote:
pressure cookers?

I love mine, I use it every day.

ken69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 07 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooking as such has been subverted by the makers of ovens and Agas and Rayburns, aided and abetted by writers and readers of Recipe books.
Apparently the schools are still teaching how to prepare stodge ridden meals.

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 07 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken69 wrote:

Apparently the schools are still teaching how to prepare stodge ridden meals.

Some might be. Mine concentrates on healthy eating and preparing from fresh ingredients. We even get a chef in each year to make burgers using the ingredients list on the side of a supermarket packet. The kids won't touch them after that (the best bit is when he pulls a bulls heart out of a box and slices chunks of flesh and veins into the mixer!) We all know that heart is actually good eating, I think. What gets me is the amount of sugar that goes into these things. No wonder kids fed processed c**p get fat!

ken69

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 07 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught a glimpse last night of a Chef programme..an expert said "just the right mixture of honey and sugar, excellent, very tasty".

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 07 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they were making honey nut cornflakes, the cornerstone of a nutritional breakfast.

toggle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 07 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigger wrote:
toggle wrote:
pressure cookers?

I love mine, I use it every day.

not quite, but good for when i want to eat some of the big sacks of cheap beans i keep buying

Anura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 09 1:36 pm    Post subject: Energy Efficient Cooking Reply with quote

How about a Remoska? I bought one from Lakeland & the last time I used my oven was at Christmas. Look on the Lakeland site and also a good website is www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk. That is full of ideas of what dishes you can cook all at the same time. You can also email them for assistance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive