Recipes            
Latest Articles
At last a shower
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
agreed-I put 10 into my kitchen which is actually quite small, merely to ensure that there was one handy in all areas should it be required, we probably only ever use two or three at a time though. My mother has a huge kitchen, not updated in the last twenty years which has one-probably enough in the fifties or sixties but not quite enough now. Their whole house is devoid of sockets i.e. one in each room-each one run off a seperate fuse-that must hve been practise in those days i guess.

In our last house we practically had the kitchen rebuilt. So we put in 5 doubles along with a preexisting single. The benefit of this was when I changed all the units around a few years later, there was no problems at all with the electrics.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five double sockets in a 6x10 kitchen. I like sockets I do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are soon going to start finishing our kitchen - got shelved for other projects.
I want a double and a single socket by the worktop and a single over the other side for the fridge. That's all I need. Non- electric is the way to go, but not just yet.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
We are soon going to start finishing our kitchen - got shelved for other projects.
I want a double and a single socket by the worktop and a single over the other side for the fridge. That's all I need. Non- electric is the way to go, but not just yet.

But a Kitchen is there for you and who ever moves in next. Putting the facilities in now, is less wasteful.

For example I am trying to put a saver socket in the bathroom. I won't use it. But someone eventually will.

Fullup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we bought our house we had it re-wired and re-plumed. The sparky got a tad frustrated with the electrics for the kitchen.

We wanted single sockets for each appliance (washing machine, cooker hodd etc) but these were to be wired into a single switch panel at worktop height. This was so that we could turn off the electric supply to each machine when not in use. The wires went from each socket and had to work there way under the floor to this one panel. Took him ages to do. Looks good now though.

It's definately the planning and get the bits you don't see right that takes up the time and money for kitchen and bathroom projects, isn't it.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why turn of the supply to machines not in use?

Fullup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Why turn of the supply to machines not in use?

Safety.

If the machine developes an electrical fault and catches fire when your not around (or even worse when your in bed) its going to cause a lot of damage.

Even though the switch on the front of the machine is turned off the power cord is still plugged into the live socket.

I'd rather be on the cautious side, and we were having the electrics done anyway as well as a new kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one could argue the the logic behind turning all power off to downstairs sockets and lights before going to bed on the condition that your fridge/freezer were on a seperate circuit. standby on TV's and video's etc. burn power and can lead to electrical fire-my neighbour discovered this to his cost (circaŁ25k to be precise)- well insurance company paid up to be honest but it was a major fire whilst all in house were asleep and could have been fatal. If in doubt turn it off (alarm clocks excepted if you like me have to live by a clock) its cheaper safer and more environmentally friendly. I go round the house turning off every thing after my kids, threatening to put timer switches into every room as they never switch lights off and remove batteries from remote controls on any appliance with one to teach them a lesson!!!!!!!!!!
One of my favourite subjects as you can see

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

But a Kitchen is there for you and who ever moves in next. Putting the facilities in now, is less wasteful.

For example I am trying to put a saver socket in the bathroom. I won't use it. But someone eventually will.

I don't live my life for the next ones to come along (well, not in this particular case - it's different talking about the environment and the future of the earth, obviously). If they want more sockets they could quite easily put them in. Why have more of anything than you need and use? That's wasteful.
It's a ktichen for me to use, now. Not someone else in the future.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I don't live my life for the next ones to come along (well, not in this particular case - it's different talking about the environment and the future of the earth, obviously). If they want more sockets they could quite easily put them in. Why have more of anything than you need and use? That's wasteful.
It's a ktichen for me to use, now. Not someone else in the future.

But a very little effort and expense at the building stage, can save a lot of work later. As I have found in my Kitchen there is an area I need sockets and I cannot properly wire the things in, without major renovation. To me that is wasteful.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
But a very little effort and expense at the building stage, can save a lot of work later. As I have found in my Kitchen there is an area I need sockets and I cannot properly wire the things in, without major renovation. To me that is wasteful.

And to be fair there are very few people that would give up electrical appliances

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our lounge we have 8xdouble sockets..............so all the work has been done, should we move anything around. The lighting is good and the room is so versatile.The room is 22'x13' and is a lounge/diner. We can move table etc knowing suitable wiring is on hand.

Gertie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the sockets that cause problems in our kitchen, it's storage space for all the electrical gadgets. MIL and FIL bought us a bloomin' huge George Forman thingummy - haven't used it yet but it takes up the space that was originally used by our sandwich toaster, accessories for Kenwood Chef and the toaster!

Our kitchen is lovely but I would like to see all the worksurfaces clear - apart from my coffee machine - I LOVE IT!!!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gertie wrote:

Our kitchen is lovely but I would like to see all the worksurfaces clear - apart from my coffee machine - I LOVE IT!!!

Same here, would not be without my expresso Though I have come to see things like this as a dependency, and probably when it blows up, I will look to a more manual solution.

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 05 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bought a Delonghi espresso and cappucino machine from a bootsale, only trouble is I am the one who drinks espresso and Mr Moggins is the only one who knows how to use it.

Not a lot of use when he's at work and I am stuck here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive