Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bodger Cottage HQ ?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:
it can be difficult to find someone who knows what you want to learn. So I think there's mileage in this idea.

Absolutely. I'm lucky in that Ken (the sheep man) and Rich the tractor are both tutors at the local ag college so we can both learn a lot from them.

lottie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having moved near the sea I'd love to learn to fish from the beach like I've seen people doing other places---but I don't know if it's possible here[ coast round Aber] or where on earth to start---if I find out I can't learn about this anywhere I'll have to resort to my usual plan B---get a book, get in a mess, struggle through somehow.

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could sort you out with that Lottie.

lottie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great---I bet other people might be interested.As soon as my hubby has worked his notice[3 weeks to go] we have the luxury of our time being our own so we will be able to fit in with anything/anybody.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have thought that my axe ,sticks and string is a marketable w'k'end
eating a stroll
urban survival
hedgerow gp
lots of scope , im up for teaching class now and again

downsizer school has a certain sort of oo yeh

sara jane goodey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a brill idea, thats how me and my OH have learnt all our skills, by being shown by someone who does it everyday, thats how he learned all his farming skills. From the really 'hen cymeriadau' (old characters) he has learned hedge laying, walling, shearing by hand, sheep managment, weather prediction, hunting, pest control, and general observation of the land. Of course along the way we've learnt to drink beer and tell stories too!! Of course there's always a trade off, I teach you, whats in it for me?? but this attitude is healthy, and a swapping of skills, produce or labour is often the way its done here.

pricey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
The best 'course' I've been on was rabbiting with Pricey and chums which was free.

Don't tell every one, I was going to charge next time

Good Idea bodger, I am up for a making cider course, now that my BIL has moved to a house that has 1 very large Apple tree.

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll book you in for a gallon or three sometime in October then mate.

wishus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a fantastic idea. I don't think I'd have any impressive skills to throw into the pot myself - though I'm good at growing weeds!

welsh lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent idea

pricey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
I'll book you in for a gallon or three sometime in October then mate.

Maybe the end or early Nov, I will be in France working end Sept/ Oct. I will post a picture of the tree so you can guetimate how much you think I can make.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly has a massive scope I think, I am much happier being shown how to do someting in real life rather than reading it in a book 6 times, There is masses I want to learn how to do and find it very hard to find people with the knowledge as i live in london and the "outdoor" skills are not around or in such short supply that they are jelously guarded by those with them IE its taken me a few years to find someone to take me hunting even though my neighbour who i get on with shoots 3 or 4 times a week, but the shoots are only open to members of the syndicate and they can not take "visitors" there.
If i can find someone to teach it normally costs a weeks wages that i cant afford as I still have a morgage to pay.
I would be happy to swop a few days labour for a few days teaching or even a reasonable price to cover any expensies if I get to learn a new skill.

Sign me up for them all !!!!!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make time, I will make time... sounds good.

lassemista

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 07 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a great idea, but where are you. All the advertised courses seem to be in the West Country - a long way from here!
Andrea.

Bodger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 07 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These instructional get togethers could be anywhere there were people prepared to join in. I'm in North Wales of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive