About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
making Pasta
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so yummy I am tempted to go and buy a pasta machine now.

We love tagliatelle, why is it the most expensive when those wiggly shapes which must take more work are more expensive?

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moggins, have a bash with a rolling pin first, for simple shapes like lasagne and ravioli it's not essential to have a machine (as TD says, ours is lost at the moment). A bit of patience and a rolling pin can do a good job.

I found taglietelle too hard, though, as Julie says it swells up when you cook it and I'm too clumsy to do such narrow straight lines freehand. I chopped it in to small rectangles and called it pappardelle (but only in writing cos I can't pronounce it ).

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a pastry wheel - I thought a pizza wheel would also work.

I did find something in a book of mine, but it suggested gently rolling the dough up in to a swiss roll and then cutting the noddles with a sharp knife, but I tried that and it stuck together somewhat, so the wheel seemed safer.

moggins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas! I'm supposed to be cooking pasta tomorrow so I'll give it a shot. I have a free day tomorrow

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those little wooden ones with the crinkly edges, Julie?

I also tried the swiss roll thing, and mine also stuck. And I got ragged edges. Nice to know it wasn't just me though

What do people do to make ravioli? We had one of those little trays which I think TD was bought, or came with the machine, like an ice cube tray but ravioli shaped, you lay a sheet of pasta, put in the filling, lay another on top and roll a pin over it to cut the shapes out.

It was rubbish, they didn't come out, and I still flinch at the banging noises that eminated from the kitchen before it finally went to the great kitchenware shop in the sky

Last time we had ravioli I think TD did it, large ones (restaurant stylee, dontcha know? Only the best for us ). I thought the pastry wheel would be good for this but I have difficulty getting the sheets to stick together etc.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
... but I tried that and it stuck together somewhat...

This is where a small amount of flour comes in useful again. Best if you've got a dredger then you get less lumps, then spread it about lightly with your hands. Cut quickly with a sharp knife, otherwise it drags rather than cuts.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I also tried the swiss roll thing, and mine also stuck.

I have difficulty getting the sheets to stick together

No pleasing some folk, is there?

Raviolli can be done by placing a sheet on the worktop, score a fine line down the middle of the length. Place a small amount of the filling on one side of the score. Use a bit if egg and melted butter and paint around the filling on one half only. Fold over the other side and cut out. Make sure you get all the air out of the pockets and crimp together with your fingers.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Bugs wrote:
I also tried the swiss roll thing, and mine also stuck.

I have difficulty getting the sheets to stick together

No pleasing some folk, is there?

If it can be got wrong, it'll be got wrong by me, in every which way possible

Thanks for the ravioli advice...it's something I might try over Easter if I get time. Have a small crop of rocket on the windowsill at the moment which should be ready by then.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
One of those little wooden ones with the crinkly edges, Julie?

I know the sort you mean, but mine is a metal one, but yes crinkly edges!

I guess you could crimp the edges of the ravioli with a fork like I do an apple pie.

judith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how you kept your black jumper free from flour. I only have to look at a bag of flour to get a light dusting all over me - apron or no apron.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
I want to know how you kept your black jumper free from flour. I only have to look at a bag of flour to get a light dusting all over me - apron or no apron.

I was wondering that. It does look like a photo shoot for Country Living (compliment, Julie, honest!).

I generally have to be brushed down by the OH after cooking before I'm allowed back on the settee

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bugs"]
Judith wrote:
I generally have to be brushed down by the OH after cooking before I'm allowed back on the settee

Is he not just using the flour as an excuse?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Is he not just using the flour as an excuse?

I don't need an excuse.

I may need to keep a towel by the kitchen door to wipe down her paws before being let into the rest of the house though.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Judith wrote:

I was wondering that. It does look like a photo shoot for Country Living (compliment, Julie, honest!).

I don't know but my slippers had a good dusting ( and the floor!)and there were some bits stuck to the sleeve.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the photo again, and, yes, the jumper is still black, and the pinny's also clean, but look behind her right arm at the wine rack she's trying to hide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive