Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
making Pasta
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moggins wrote:
I'm not exactly amused with Argos!! Bought my pasta maker this morning and got it home only to find it had flour inside. I don't mind going to to boot sale and paying a reduced price for a secondhand item but I do object to paying full price for something which is supposed to be new but turns out to be second hand!!

Someone help me, I need a fag!!!!!

Typical Argos if you ask me. I got a handblender once with a used beaker in it and a milk bottle top in the box! I rang them up and spoke to the manager who was suitably horrified, and organised a new one straight away.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moggins wrote:

If it's of any help. Snowball was tested today and apparently now has 0 nicotine/carbon monoxide in the system, and as such the physical pangs are ending.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
moggins wrote:

If it's of any help. Snowball was tested today and apparently now has 0 nicotine/carbon monoxide in the system, and as such the physical pangs are ending.

Any bruises on you jema?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
jema wrote:
moggins wrote:

Any bruises on you jema?

Actually yes but the nasty bruise on my arm is probably from my psychotic teenage daughter

culpepper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I did the pasta in the mincer thing. It does work but was quite hard work and didnt look that different to the pasta makers tagliatelli. Shant bother in the future probably quicker just to use the pasta maker.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn - I went to argos today too (just ran off to check the machine - no flour!)

Did you get anywhere, Moggins? (and how many teeth has your argos manager got left - those machines are heavy!)

moggins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had quite a result in the end, the other half came home early and was suitably annoyed when I told him, packed me back off into town to return it, they gave me a nice new shiny pasta maker and £4 in cash to cover my inconvenience and parking fees.

Parking was only £1.20 so I made a profit

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moggins wrote:
I had quite a result in the end, the other half came home early and was suitably annoyed when I told him, packed me back off into town to return it, they gave me a nice new shiny pasta maker and £4 in cash to cover my inconvenience and parking fees.

Parking was only £1.20 so I made a profit

Well done moggins. I would tend to complain to trading standards but you don't tend to get that far. At least you've got a replacement.

I tend to open stuff in shops these days, just after I've bought them as I've had a few second hand items being passed off as new.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

I tend to open stuff in shops these days,

Not a bad policy. I got some light recently and found they were missing the low voltage transformer, before I took them back i chatted to an ex B&Q worker in the pub who said they were often missing the bits

Marigold123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
the nasty bruise on my arm is probably from my psychotic teenage daughter
Ah yes, I've got one of those. She was being a bloody nusiance and refusing to go to school for a while, and had suddenly became frightened of the Maths teacher - yeah, right! - couldn't possibly go to Maths lessons and wanted to be moved down into another group. Apparently she was sick on the way to Maths the other day - ditto 'yeah, right!' - and had to do her Maths sitting outside in the corridor for a week and a half.

She was getting convenient headaches/stomach aches/throwing up (so she says) to avoid going to school, and said she wanted to be home educated. Everyone was very kind and concerned at school, and bent over backwards to try to accomodate her obviously genuine fear of the Maths teacher until I put my foot down yesterday and told her Head of House that I didn't want her to be given any more concessions, and she just had to get on with it and do as she was told. (I'd felt all along she was doing it to make a point, but everyone else, including her father, was convinced it was genuine, and I allowed myself to be swayed.)

This afternoon she came home and said she'd been given an hour's detention every day for a week, was told to take off her goth eye makeup and report to the staff room, which, (and these are her own words), "I thought was a bit harsh."

"Oh, by the way," she said, before going upstairs, "I'm all right about school again now, so you don't have to worry."

It's nice to be right once in a while.

But she's 14 at the moment, so I expect we'll have plenty more of the same before she's finished.

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Marigold, once they hit 17 they start becoming normal again. mine is now 20 and a lovlier girl you couldn't wish to meet, hormonal sometimes but always helpful.

I wouldn't wish 15/16 on anyone

culpepper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maplins sometimes sell their returns too. My son has had one or two obviously used items which he has had to take back.

When I was at school there was a male chemistry teacher who seemed very over familiar (probably my imagination) ,I always felt uncomfortable in his lessons and although I liked chemistry I changed to biology and the battle axe rather than have to have him teach me for a whole year.
The trouble with teens now is they look like they are much older with the clothes and makeup and hair.Its difficult to sympathise with someone who acts like a 14 year old but looks like they are 20

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 05 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marigold123 wrote:
jema wrote:
the nasty bruise on my arm is probably from my psychotic teenage daughter
Ah yes, I've got one of those.

I have known a few friends teenage daughters, and so know the problems but to be honest whilst mine is a little rough on me, like yesterday she pushed a pillow over my face and said "see i'm not hitting you i'm suffocating you" it is all done in good humour (i hope) and aside from going through an irritating whiney phase, she has so far avoided that evil phase a lot of girls seem to go through Though I still think the bruise is probably from her

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 05 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you get 00 flour? The healthfood shop and Sainsbury's looked me like I'd gone potty (Spotty Sainsbury's oik "well, we do sell pasta, you know" I didn't ask him if they sold pasta!

Flour delivery people don't do it either. Any suggestions?

Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 05 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Waitrose sells 00 flour, and also strong Canadian flour (or something like that) which is also labelled suitable for pasta. Are you still getting the odd Ocado order - might be worth trying them.

Otherwise, hmm, I think I've seen it in the independent health food shop but not Holland and Barratt (although they're the cheapest place I've found vanilla pods - and yes, we've investigated growing our own vanilla ).

If you're desperate to have a go this weekend I'm fairly confident you can make a good go with bread flour.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive