Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
broody hen on nest - what do i do next?

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 07 8:44 pm    Post subject: broody hen on nest - what do i do next? Reply with quote

broody chicken ( 13 days on 9 eggs ) on nest approx 20 inches off floor of coop. when or if eggs start to hatch do i take from hen or leave naturally with hen ? also have 2 other hens and cockerel which are in separate area - do i leave them away from hen and chicks ?

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 07 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it's best to keep them apart for now.

you really want to create a place where the chicks can be safe when they have hatched. Does the hen come off for food/water and can you move the eggs to a lower nest at that point?

If she is properly broody then I think you should be able to move the eggs and get her back on, but wait for a few replies before trusting me.

pookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Jonnyboy, keep them separate.
You should be able to move her and the eggs, do this after dark when she is more docile. Move the eggs, and the broody to the safer location and if possible block up the original nest site so that she can't move back. She should settle fine if she's been sitting tight for 13 days. Good luck.

judith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 07 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a couple of days, it might be a good idea to make sure she finds her nest again after she has got up to stretch her legs. I have a couple of hens that forget where their eggs are for a few days if I move them from their original chosen site.

Daydreaming

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 07 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave the hen on her own with the chicks, she'll most likely attack the other chickens (well mine would)
However once the chicks hatch you do need to make sure that they can't fall out of the nest, and they need beable to get back.
You need to look after the hen, she will do the rest.

Make sure she has space to come off to nest to stretch her legs and eat and drink, maybe dust bathe too.

Feed chick crumb and plenty of water to the hen, she will show the chicks.

Give them a level surface and shelter, no blips were the chicks can get stuck. I remember Bodger had a nasty experience like that this year, I have remembered this every hatch I've had this year.

Gradually, usally after a week, I start to give them all more space or let them out in the garden to scratch about. Beware - hen may be dangerous to small children, dogs or cats (Mine are)

helena

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 07 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys for your valued responses - will keep you posted if i become a proud mum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive