Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
LADIES, do you use a Mooncup?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Do you use a mooncup?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 38 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 83

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I've found fantastic about the mooncup is that you can almost forget about it!

I'm usually very heavy, and I've never had a problem with it overflowing. I used to have to change a tampon during the night/wear a towel as well as a tampon during the heaviest part of my period, but I don't with the mooncup. Ever. It's been pretty full before, but only when I;ve forgotten about it for a day

In fact, I've forgotten about it even in the morning before now That would never happen with a tampon.

If you are light, you won't get that dryness you get with tampons, you just collect less

It's bigger than a tampon, but you fold it in half to insert it, so probably about the size of a tampon going in, but you don't feel it once it's in.

I'm no expert though, just a user

Marionb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about "changing" it (although I realise you dont change it you take it out, empty it and put it back in) and wondered how you'd go about that if you were in work for example. From what you say, Fee, you can leave it in for quite a while without having to worry about leakages???

Fee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess it depends on your flow really.

Definitely worth trying it! If it works for you, it's so liberating.

cinders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
I was wondering about "changing" it (although I realise you dont change it you take it out, empty it and put it back in) and wondered how you'd go about that if you were in work for example. From what you say, Fee, you can leave it in for quite a while without having to worry about leakages???

If your at work just give it a wipe out with tissue and wash it when you get home

Tittch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Róisín wrote:
Tittch wrote:
Róisín wrote:
I've voted no as I'm not comfortable with tampons in any way shape or form, so I doubt I could manage a mooncup I am working on the reusable pads system though

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking? You could always PM me if you would rather?

Oh I don't mind! It's not an ethical thing really (although I do agree with you that tampons are wasteful etc) - it's a comfort thing... I'm with whoever posted above about not wanting things shoved up inside me all day long (my GOD that sounded dodgy). I wore a tampon once or twice before and it was just horrible - maybe they are more comfortable if you have a heavy flow? It felt just dry and uncomfortable to me anyway.

Is the idea with a mooncup that you put it in like a tampon and then when it is full (how do you know when that is?) you take it out and empty it and rinse it out? And is it long and narrow like a tampon?

Tampons are horribly uncomfortable compared with a Mooncup. A Mooncup doesn't suck moisture out of you, it's not holding chemicals against your walls, and it doesn't chaff! It's the same shape and size as a willy-knob-end only it's turned up the other way. You get to know when it's full with a little practice. Typically you will need to remove and empty it half as often as a tampon or towel, but it's just a case of getting used to it. It's so much comfier than any other sanitary product on the market. It also helps reduce cramps too!

Marionb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to be really careful about cleaning it after your period is finished???

Fee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine goes in the dishwasher

Hweorfa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
If your at work just give it a wipe out with tissue and wash it when you get home

I take a small bottle of water in with me to give it a quick rinse before I pop it back in - I find it easier to insert that way, too.

I've used mine for 3 years, now, and wouldn't use anything else. I had such heavy periods after I had my last child, that tampons & pads were not up to the job, and were costing a mint! With the mooncup, I only have to bother about it 3-4 times a day. I did find, though, that for it to be comfy, I had to cut the stalk right off.

I managed to lose mine out of my handbag last year (lord only knows where, and what the finder may have thought!!) and I had to use tampons for a couple of days - I found them dry, uncomfortable & leaky.

Mooncups are the best!

Marionb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fee wrote:

I dont think my OH would take too kindly to that.....

Hweorfa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
Do you have to be really careful about cleaning it after your period is finished???

I boil it for 5 mins. Every couple of months (or if it has got discoloured, which they can do after a while) I stick it in some sterilising solution (cheapo supermarket brand for babies' bottles) for 20 mins, and then boil it to get the steriliser off. And hey presto, as new & ready to go again!

I usually boil it for 5 mins at the start of a period, too, just in case.

Fee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
Fee wrote:

I dont think my OH would take too kindly to that.....

Mine doesn't either. Funnily enough, I did write that in my previous post, but removed it

I just tell him to stop being silly...or more often just sneak it in without him noticing!

Fee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hweorfa wrote:
I did find, though, that for it to be comfy, I had to cut the stalk right off.

I've cut mine about half off for comfort, any more I think I might struggle to pull it out again.

Róisín

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stalk?! Where does the stalk go?

Fee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just dangles down so you can pull the mooncup out easily.

Maybe a piccie will help:

Róisín

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 07 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Thanks for that. As a non-user of tampons this question is not as embarrassing as it might otherwise be - do you have to take out the mooncup to use the loo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive