About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Garlic
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 09 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just harvested my garlic Not a bad crop considering I should have done it months ago.

I like the sound of music (groan!) can you get it anywhere now? I've heard good reports from elsewhere about it.

gunners71uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 09 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have got two bulbs of purple moldovan to put in but it cant go into nov i was told

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 09 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put em in now, no probs.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 09 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just planted ours, German Red, Blanak, Purple White and Solent White; all saved from this years harvest as we were too busy to order some. First time we've used our saved cloves so we'll see how it goes.

T.G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 09 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been given some garlic chive seeds, but I'm not sure when they can been sown and is garlic chive only called so because it tastes/smells like garlic or does it contain the same qualities for medicinal purposes does anyone know?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 09 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic chives are MUCH milder in aroma/flavour, can't imagine they'd have anything like the same efficacy

cassy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 09 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was too late trying to harvest our garlic (Music) and they had already started sprouting at the end of September. I've left them all in the ground and although the crop will be smaller, I'll be interested to see how they get on, growing from a whole bulb.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 09 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try selective thinning, they're great green in curries etc.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 09 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ypu'll get tiny bulb, not worth it. As T says, thin the green shoots to one per 8 inches and eat the rest as a new year delicacy.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 09 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopy wrote:
when you say "seed garlic" do you mean cloves from bulbs that you have grown yourself or ??? (sorry if it's a daft question)

yup, that's exactly what I mean.

(sorry the reply was 3 months late... )

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 09 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cassy wrote:
I was too late trying to harvest our garlic (Music) and they had already started sprouting at the end of September. I've left them all in the ground and although the crop will be smaller, I'll be interested to see how they get on, growing from a whole bulb.

If you lift them with a trowel with all the root you can tease the cloves apart & replant them at normal spacing.
I've done that this year with a few volunteer heads & although they don't look as strong as the normal planting done at the same time I'm sure next June/July I wont be able to tell them apart.

cassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 2:10 pm    Post subject: Update - 2 years later Reply with quote

In 2009 cassy wrote:

I didn't have time to lift and replant these in 2009 and ended up lifting them last year and they were small as predicted.

However, I left 5 plants/clumps behind and have just lifted them today. Each clump has 3 good sized bulbs and 1 smaller bulb. I've done nothing to them since - they were in an out-of-the-way corner and have had no attention at all.

The yield is obviously nowhere near as good as if I'd lifted and replanted each year, but I'm pleasantly surprised to have enough to save me buying in any this autumn.

The rest of my garlic all died this year in a different area, so this has been a fantastic insurance policy and I think it will be worth my while to set up another "perennial" garlic bed away from the main production area and just pull enough bulbs for replanting each year. I imagine it will succumb to disease eventually but I think it's worth another experiment.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our garlic is tremendous this year. It's all harvested and drying.

Ollie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to harvest ours today. This is the first time in ~3 years of trying that it seems to have worked, so it's a smallish crop as we were despairing a little. Probably around 10 or 12 heads.

At least this means I don't have to work out about drying and stuff---we can rattle through that much in a few weeks.

Next year we'll do more.

robkb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
Our garlic is tremendous this year. It's all harvested and drying.

I'm jealous - mine mostly rotted in the ground

Last year I got 40-odd bulbs, this year I got 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive