Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Garlic
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 07 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
You said "their shallots look interesting" too, if that helps get the cogs whirring..

You mentioned the shallots, the shallots that grew so well, flourished through the spring, divided and then started to swell....only to be wiped out in four days by white rot.

Bugger.

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 07 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
KGM did a feature on garlic in Septembers issue (I think) I wonder if they have an offer associated with it.

Taaa daa - https://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/offers.pdf

but unless you're anxious to grow elephant garlic it's of debatable value I think. I do quite fancy having a go at the German Red.

Found Tuckers' paper catalogue for 2007, they also say they have Albigensian Wight, and Messidrome, for autumn this year, so I may give them a ring, although their postage for onions is a bit steep especially seeing as they count garlic as seed but a nice helpful company so will have to do some sums, knew I should have worn sandals today

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 07 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Bugs wrote:
You said "their shallots look interesting" too, if that helps get the cogs whirring..

You mentioned the shallots, the shallots that grew so well, flourished through the spring, divided and then started to swell....only to be wiped out in four days by white rot.

Bugger.

Ah. Sorry about that. If it helps, feel free to blame me. I can get another avatar if you need something to throw darts at.

I can't find the Californian Late either, though it rings a bell.

Nanny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 07 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hae never had much success with garlic because i plant it too late

if i put it in now or in the near future where does it come in my crop rotation?

do i put it in the bed that the peas, beans etc come out of, the one i am going to put my roots into next year?

have to say by the way that i stuck some carrot seed in and forgot about it and now have some cracking carrots....never grown carrots like it

but back to the garlic please

Tilia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I just chuck in some supermarket garlic?

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but supermarket garlic may not be as good as bought for 2 reasons:

Seed garlic is usually selected for the climate it's being grown in

It's usually certified virus free

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanny wrote:
i hae never had much success with garlic because i plant it too late

if i put it in now or in the near future where does it come in my crop rotation?

do i put it in the bed that the peas, beans etc come out of, the one i am going to put my roots into next year?

Hullo Nanny

I know nooooothing (please insert your best Manuel accent there) but we just make a reasonable attempt to avoid following with anything too similar - this year the brassicas (purple sprouting broccol, seakale, brussels, kale and cabbages) are following the garlic and overwintering onion patch but without looking it up I can't remember what was there before except that it definitely wasn't the alliums. The brassicas are looking happy enough.

This site https://www.organicgarden.org.uk/starthere/rotation.htm suggests (I fink) you might want to follow it with your roots, which seems perfectly reasonable unless someone else comes along with better advice.

Whichever direction you go we have certainly had better results with autumn plantings, but are on exceptionally good (read: dust as soon as the clouds move by) drainage!

Behemoth wrote:
Looking for Californian Late - any body?

Just cleared out last year's catalogues and a rogue leaflet from Dobies had this in, perhaps worth giving them a ring in case they can help...

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
KGM did a feature on garlic in Septembers issue (I think) I wonder if they have an offer associated with it.

Taaa daa - https://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/offers.pdf

but unless you're anxious to grow elephant garlic it's of debatable value I think. I do quite fancy having a go at the German Red.

I'll split it with you, if you like? It says two bulbs of four varities, so there should be plenty. My elephant garlic never got going - it looked sick before it started, but I think it came from a garden centre, so wasn't stored well. Mice have been at my PM's too, but I know I kept a mapped record (although knowing my record it might just be 'planted garlic that Bugs gave me') so there is still hope for a denoument of the mystery variety!

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me - I grew Messidrome last year.

I put garlic in where the legumes have just been. Winter alliums (leeks onions and shallots) go in where the spuds were.

None of the alliums take up a whole rotation plot, so garlic the following autumn goes in a different part of the original spud plot from where the other winter alliums were the year before

i.e.

yr 1
A spuds
winter alliums up one end
B legumes
garlic up one end
C brassicas
D roots

yr 2
A legumes
garlic the other end
B brassicas
C roots
D spuds
alliums the other end
etc

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 07 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can strongly recomend the German red though it does seem to take an age to come up. I seem to remember planting in early October and the shoots didn't appear until new year. Unlike the unknown variety dpack gave me which had 6 inches of growth by new year.

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 07 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr B, looking forward to it.

Bifurcated Carrots has just posted up his garlic review - more than a dozen varieties, many of them I've never heard of and impossible to get commercially here at least, but I think I will try Music (the one from the Really Garlicky people) on his recommendation. Hmm, 10 bulbs, should keep Chateau Bugs off the vampires' Christmas list for another year

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 07 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I will try Music (the one from the Really Garlicky people) on his recommendation.

I've grown it before, haven't been able to get hold of it since my man Pat Wood disappeared, got my order yesterday. It's a good long keeper and the cloves are nice and big. Dunno which variety we're using at the mo but it's such a pain, tiny, weeny, pathetic little cloves.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 07 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autumn equinox is on 23rd Sept at 9.51 am, that's the recomended time to get them in.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 07 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my garlic in, variety = music, same as Tahir's, good fat bulbs.

Now the nights draw in.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 07 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery bulbs were (probably) messidrome, according to my garden diary. They did very well here, so I shall plant some more this year. I perhaps ought not to look at other stuff - I will only forget what it's called again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive