Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Garlic
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening-girl wrote:
We have the best garlic we have ever grown.Planted in the poly tunnel in October last year.
Dug an elephant bulb last week,weighed in at 1lb 2oz.
Naturally, the old git at the plot said it wouldn`t work,but we more than happy with the result.

2nd year for us in the polytunnel - and its looking like another good crop (tops still green-prob won't pick it until August). I planted mine in the poly as outside it got rust. It does stay in for a long time though - but i think it's worth it.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled the rest of ours today.But, we are in a poly-tunnel,in a walled garden,in the south-west.
34 beautiful heads.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 14 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that time again.

This year was moderately succesful year, avoided the rust and not too much white rot.

Think I'll stick with Music, most reliable I've found, but try some Castano as well.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 14 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autumn equinox is on 23rd September at 02.29. That's the time to get them in.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 15 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Garlic Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Time to be thinking about your order. What are you getting and who from?

Digging over your growing site and adding some compost or manure wouldn't go amiss.

So, getting a bit late for this year perhaps, but any good offers, sources or tips on varieties from 2015/for 2016? Our default is Solent Wight and Purple Wight but open to recommendations.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 15 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recon the marrow is full size and the last courgette is ready so my garlic will go in this week.

how many to plant in a fish box for maximum yield is my problem.

in the open i go for 6" apart in rows 12" apart but in a tight space i recon denser will give smaller bulbs but an overall bigger yield

if i do two boxes i will test that and report back

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 15 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
The autumn equinox is on 23rd September at 02.29. That's the time to get them in.

Never heard of that as a planting date. Maybe I'll try it with part of my saved cloves (well as its passed that I'll do it asap).
Its usually October/November when I get mine in - but then again i'm planting in a polytunnel.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 15 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't grow any last year, so perhaps I will try to get some this year. I have grown the Wight varieties in the past, and the worked quite well. We can see their source on a clear day, so they ought to work for us.

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumped for Tuckers again, PW and SW. If anyone is seeking a variety then Kings seems to have an interesting mixed lot for £10 ish, with 6 varieties, and Seeds of Italy do good value packs if I remember rightly (no guarantee of that)

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 15 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are in,one set at 15 to a fish box the other at 25.

i will see which gives the greater yield.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 16 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both boxes are doing well about 15" high and still growing

the look similar so far but i will weigh them at harvest time

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 16 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still going well ,i had a look at a stem base and it was just starting to bulk up .

how are yours looking/

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 16 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too but now is usually when white rot hits. In the past rust had been a problem but not this year.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 16 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pulled mine today as the leaves had just about had it and some were trying to flower

the 25 all cropped and produced slightly smaller bulbs and a greater weight than the 15 produced 11 bulbs which were bigger but in total about 25 % lighter than the other box .

i recon i got about 3.5 times as much as i planted which is a poor return so really
they were not a great success in terms of growing space to yield but fresh garlic is rather nice and i spose i will probably pickle a fair bit as i recon i can make a couple of jars .

it is moments like this i rather miss the allotment and needing a wheel barrow for the garlic crop

with the space issues i have i recon next year will be only one box(or a window sill planter) and i will use the other for a series of crops with greater added value rather than a long term, low density, low yield one like garlic.

Last edited by dpack on Fri Jul 08, 16 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

colettedeann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 16 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alas I have no garlic this year - other than what i picked up from morrisons - and a neighbour gave me one plant( one I say!!)

- I will make sure I have a bed ready for summer equinox now that has been suggested - but unsure if I should buy from a nursery - or just get a few bulbs from the store??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive