Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
basic tasty cooking
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 07 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsay wrote:
I have a lazy person's lasagne recipe which would probably suit - always turns out well!

Sounds ideal

BahamaMama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 07 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have more ideas on what to do with cheaper cuts of meat - scrag does not sound appealing.... and oxtail does not look great in the butcher's window but was mind-blowing when casserolled.

I would prefer to buy cheaper cuts of better meat if I knew what to do with them.

And what about game? Bunnies, roadkill etc?

Anura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can we see these recipes? I'm not too familiar with finding things on here.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we ever put an article toegther about this, in the end.
However, have a look in the Articles section under Processing Food for some recipes / techniques.

We also now have the Recipes part of the forum, which can be searched.

And there was a thread quite a while back on 'easy proper home cookery' for beginners, with an emphasis on dishes that would tempt offspring that liked 'junk' or 'processed' food, e.g. making spag bol, pizza, etc from scratch. I think I started it, and it was in 2008 or the back end of 2007 - go into Recipes, Preserving Etc and go back through the pages.

here it is

What did you have in mind / what were you looking for ?

Anura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, unfussy things, there was a programme on the other night with Nigel Slater ? My husband comes home from work late & it's not always easy to think of things to do. He eats most things but I don't really like meat but will eat chicken. He's recently been diagnosed with Diabetes so has to watch his carbs/sugar etc.

I'm also tend to make "Chuckitin" dishes - you don't win a prize for guessing that!

When I've a little more time I'll go through the stages you suggest & have a quick look.

Thanks for your response. It was good to get a nice reply as I received one which was quite curt & cynical - didn't think you got that sort of thing on this forum.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, chicken..
There's an Article by Northern Lad about how to get lots of meals out of one chicken, whihc might be handy.

Is also a 'Vegetarian Xmas' thread with recipes

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anura wrote:
Nice, unfussy things, there was a programme on the other night with Nigel Slater ? My husband comes home from work late & it's not always easy to think of things to do. He eats most things but I don't really like meat but will eat chicken. He's recently been diagnosed with Diabetes so has to watch his carbs/sugar etc.

we find it really realy helps to sit down on a sunday night and write a menu for the rest of the week and decide who is cooking what, it takes all the effort out of deciding what to eat late at night and means prep can be done in the morning ready for bunging it in a pot later.
stops over spending at the point of shopping and means we go through the freeers to see what we can eat in there, it really makes life easier and it doesnt take that long.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anura wrote:

I'm also tend to make "Chuckitin" dishes - you don't win a prize for guessing that!

When I've a little more time I'll go through the stages you suggest & have a quick look.

Thanks for your response. It was good to get a nice reply as I received one which was quite curt & cynical - didn't think you got that sort of thing on this forum.

Here's a link to a few of NS recipes. He is very good - we use his books all the time.

Also there are quite a few of us on here with diabetes (including myself) if you want to discuss that.

Most of us are quite tame, honest.

Anura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Jamanda, I will look that up and also get in touch with you about cooking for diabetes. Nurse has told him there's nothing he can't eat but much smaller quantities. I'd appreciate some advice on the odd pudding etc that doesn't contain a bucket full of sugar.

I must find a good signature!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:

we find it really realy helps to sit down on a sunday night and write a menu for the rest of the week and decide who is cooking what, it takes all the effort out of deciding what to eat late at night and means prep can be done in the morning ready for bunging it in a pot later.
stops over spending at the point of shopping and means we go through the freeers to see what we can eat in there, it really makes life easier and it doesnt take that long.

Very important point. Planning ahead has made a huge different to our shopping bills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive